Discuss Starting out tools list in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Sussex2016

Hi I am about to begin an apprenticeship with a local company. I need to build up a basic tool collection but will need to start from scratch. ive found one overall CK set and wondered if anyone had any experience or advice on the kit.
many thanks

Junior hacksaw, 7.5m (25') ST tape measure, electricians knife, automatic wire stripper, 210mm (8¼") pocket level, VDE 125-250V AC mains tester, 16oz claw hammer, M3.5 x 6" rethreading tool, Redline VDE 185mm combination pliers, 175mm snipe nose pliers, 160mm combi-cutter, 7 x Dextro VDE screwdrivers (2 x Slotted (2.5 x 75 and 4 x 100mm), 2 x Phillips (#1 x 80 and #2 x 100mm), 2 x Pozi (#1 x 80 and #2 x 100) and 2 x 100mm Modulo) and tool bag.

ae235

Hi and welcome to the forum, I'm sure the lads will be along soon to give some advice and also good luck with your Apprenticeship.

Sussex, IMO although those CK tool kits are very nice, I would go for a decent tool tote, there are plenty to look at and build your tool kit up from there.
You need something for quick access and quick recovery.with the CK type you will be forever worrying about, have I put that bit in the right compartment, with a tool tote it's quicker, something I'm sure your employer will be pleased about, plus the CK looks naff, IMO just saying, PS not saying CK stuff is not any good, just don't like those daft zipper bags. Good luck with your Apprenticeship.

Sussex, IMO although those CK tool kits are very nice, I would go for a decent tool tote, there are plenty to look at and build your tool kit up from there.
You need something for quick access and quick recovery.with the CK type you will be forever worrying about, have I put that bit in the right compartment, with a tool tote it's quicker, something I'm sure your employer will be pleased about, plus the CK looks naff, IMO just saying, PS not saying CK stuff is not any good, just don't like those daft zipper bags. Good luck with your Apprenticeship.

With the greatest respect I have to disagree with you on this point. The CK bag has a couple of drop down flaps which means you can locate the tools easily.

With the greatest respect I have to disagree with you on this point. The CK bag has a couple of drop down flaps which means you can locate the tools easily.

It's only my personal opinion, personally I would not use them, with respect of course.

Worth registering for the trainee section if you haven't already. You'll need to to view the attached thread but hopefully helpful.

For what it's worth I started with one of those C.K. sets four years ago and have replaced most of it with other stuff. Some of it was rubbish and some was good but never suited me.

http://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=92466

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Wiha has an lboxx kit on Amazon for 70 was 60 earlier on in week,think someone bought them up and maybe relisted them. It has pliers long and snips screwdriver set, Allen keys. Add a hacksaw,hammer tape measure and pad saw, you should be set. Buy quality tools and covet them their are some tea leafs out there. Some big names such as knipex wera Bahco are good but I've managed with lower quality until finances allow. I personally don't like that ck kit. To expensive for the quality.

Last edited:
The tools you'll need will depend on the type of work you're going to be doing - as a general standard you'll need a medium flat and pozi screwdrivers, something for cutting and stripping cable; I use cable shears like these:
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BHJ1307.html
and I find a stanley knife is useful in most situations.

Most things can be fixed with a hammer, pliers are handy for terminating T&E, a pair of sidecutters for cutting what you don't want to blunt your cable shears on, a small and large adjustable spanner, a padsaw and maybe a set of short rods if you're going to be doing anything with plasterboard, and some good grips such as Knipex alligators for holding things.

If you're going to be doing a lot of domestic work you'll probably need a bolster chisel, boat level, a 'bashing chisel' for chopping out bits of wood, plaster, celotex etc. If you're cutting in a lot of boxes a box stencil can save time, and a rethreading tool if you're going to be going around after the plasterers.
For commercial work you'll probably need a hacksaw, file, maybe a bush spanner.

If you're going to be moving around a lot it's best to keep everything in a bag which is easy to carry, if you're going to be working in the same room all day a sturdy box can be used to sit on, stand on, or saw things on, but either way you'll need something with a storage space flexible enough to adjust your selection of tools to suit what you're doing.

As you can see there's a lot to consider; instead of going out and buying a load of tools you might never use it might be best to wait and see what you're going to need and build up your collection as you go. Nobody will be expecting you to start with everything - we haven't even touched on power tools, or even a voltage indicator which is essential for safe working.

that CK kit is a good starter kit.i have to disagree with pete. the beauty of kits like this are that youhave a place for every tool and know thatyougot them allback in.

As above, that kit is well overpriced for what it is.
If you are after a good solid box, the Stanley waterproof structural foam ones are top notch, and are at silly money at the big orange shed right now Stanley Toolbox (W)305mm (D)267mm | Departments | DIY at B&Q

Fill that with a half decent plier set, a half decent driver set, all the other bits that make up the CK set and I reckon you'll be at half the price that CK are asking.

I have used that toolbox for about 7 years and only just lately demoted it to tester carrying duties. It got so full of tools that every tool retrieval became a rummage. It should be more than fine for an apprentice with a small tool set though.

Apart from grips, cable cutters, and at some point in the future a voltage indicator, cheap and cheerful is fine. I'm still using the same VDE pliers and sidecutters I've been using for the last 10 years, got my insulated screwdrivers from Aldi and most of the rest of my tools from B&Q or the local clearance shop. Because I've built up my tool collection from scratch and bought what I need, I know exactly what I've got and have a good idea of what tool to use in any situation.
My tools might not be much to look at - they're not all the same colour or brand, but they look a lot better next to me in my bag than they would if some toe-rag pinched them.

Hi I am about to begin an apprenticeship with a local company. I need to build up a basic tool collection but will need to start from scratch. ive found one overall CK set and wondered if anyone had any experience or advice on the kit.
many thanks

Junior hacksaw, 7.5m (25') ST tape measure, electricians knife, automatic wire stripper, 210mm (8¼") pocket level, VDE 125-250V AC mains tester, 16oz claw hammer, M3.5 x 6" rethreading tool, Redline VDE 185mm combination pliers, 175mm snipe nose pliers, 160mm combi-cutter, 7 x Dextro VDE screwdrivers (2 x Slotted (2.5 x 75 and 4 x 100mm), 2 x Phillips (#1 x 80 and #2 x 100mm), 2 x Pozi (#1 x 80 and #2 x 100) and 2 x 100mm Modulo) and tool bag.

ae235
http://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/electrical-tools-products/109212-apprentice-tools.html

post 8&9 on the above link.

As a side note don't buy a veto till you have the tools to fill it. 160 pound hand bag to carry 40 pounds worth of tools. Spend your penny's wisely.
listen to this nugget of advice, the veto will break you back if you overload it as well.

a set of screwdrivers
hacksaw
setsquare
file
side cutters
pliers
long nose pliers
tape measure
tote bag
insulated crimpers (red,blue,yellow crimps)
water pump pliers x2
allen keys
hammer

(im sure im missed essential tools off this list)

cable shears are nice to have but not essential, concentrate on getting the other tools first, i was much like yourself
and had a better toolkit than a lot of electrcians when i was on my apprentaship

dont buy too much now depending on the kit you use you will need different tools, for example i carry torx drivers,security bits, square drives etc and loads of other bits.

had an electrician that has been in the game 10 years ask me what some of the tools in my bag are i used them daily for a couple years and he had never seen them before

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
A lot of electricians make do with the minimum, these are usually the ones that are the first to take the mick on how much you spend on tools, and the first to ask to borrow them. Invest in them and don't lend out I've lost count on the amount of shifters I've had returned yet I haven't seen them again.

that CK kit is a good starter kit.i have to disagree with pete. the beauty of kits like this are that youhave a place for every tool and know thatyougot them allback in.

Give pete a break...he comes from an era,where whipping a tool out from a zipped enclosure,was nothing to do with work...:yesnod:

Give pete a break...he comes from an era,where whipping a tool out from a zipped enclosure,was nothing to do with work...:yesnod:

Thanks for that PEG took me a while, but got there in the end, nice one.

One thing in defence of the zip type bags is that you can see at a glance if your gear has been returned, leaving an expensive piece of kit for some lucky bug*** to find is heart breaking.
I have a similar CK kit illustrated, I bought it from a chap on here a few years ago, at a very good price.
I must admit I would not of paid the retail price for it , but with the exception of the hacksaw I an generally pleased with it.
The auto 'missing' alarm is the best feature of this type of bag.

Don't think they'd invented zips then. Most likely buttons only. :wheelchair: :smile5:

I agree that the CK bag is good to work out of. I have my regularly used tools in one and it's easy to find a specific tool and better than a toolbox for spotting whether tools are missing when packing up.

Last edited:

Reply to Starting out tools list in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net