Discuss Apprentice Tool Help in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

Asm

Hi All,

I'm starting an Electrical Apprenticeship next month, and i have been provided with a hand tool list by my future employer of basic tools to acquire prior to my start date. I have a few questions about the contents of the list and was hoping for some help.

First of all, the list:

Cable Knife
Claw Hammer
Double Tool Pouch
Hacksaw (Junior)
Mains Socket Tester
Mini Spirit Level
Pliers 180mm
Screwdriver Posidrive 75, 80 and 100
Screwdriver Slot 75, 100, 150, and 200
Side Cutters 160mm
Tape Measure 5m
Thread Tap (M3.5)
BT Insertion Tool
Tool Box

Now My questions:

-What is the application of a junior hacksaw compared to a hacksaw in the electricians field? Should i buy both?

-With the numbers listed for the screwdrivers are they referring to length? And how does this reflect on the head size as i wasn't aware of a standardised length to head size? does it just mean PZ0, PZ1 And PZ2? And what about the slotted sizes?

-What are the good brands of mains socket tester?

-What on earth is a BT insertion tool and where do i get one?

-What can i do with a cable knife that i can't with a stanley knife?

-And finally can you suggest any good tool wholesalers for the electrician specific tools? (online or in the Bristol Area)

Thank you in advanced for any and all help.

Hi mate,

Do you know what type of Electrical work you will be carrying out? The BT insertion tool is for punching down telephone and data connections. I would purchase a full 6/7 piece screwdriver set with my preference being CK. Knipex for the sidecutters. Junior hacksaw would be good for ringing small SWA cables off but also get a standard hacksaw aswell. Maybe get a set of grips to my preference being Knipex but a lot of other forum users might recommend other brands.

Also regards to the socket tester, I would invest in a proper set of voltage testers such as Martindale.

Hope this helps.

Hi All,

I'm starting an Electrical Apprenticeship next month, and i have been provided with a hand tool list by my future employer of basic tools to acquire prior to my start date. I have a few questions about the contents of the list and was hoping for some help.

First of all, the list:

Cable Knife................... STANLEY
Claw Hamme................ 16OZ, B&Q
Double Tool Pouch.......... B&Q
Hacksaw (Junior)..........ANYWHERE
Mains Socket Tester....... MARTINDALE, FLUKE, SEVERAL OTHERS ABOUT ÂŁ20
Mini Spirit Level............... 6" OR THEREABOUTS MAGNETIC LEVEL.
Pliers 180mm.....................BAHCO, CK OR KNIPEX
Screwdriver Posidrive 75, 80 and 100.......... SET OF VDE DRIVERS FROM WICKES
Screwdriver Slot 75, 100, 150, and 200.............. SAME TING BUT GET THE 200MM IN A FLATTY
Side Cutters 160mm........... BAHCO, CK OR KNIPEX
Tape Measure 5m.. ........... ALMOST ANY WHER CHEAP. IT'LL GET STOOD ON ANYWAY.
Thread Tap (M3.5)............ ANT ELECTRICAL WHOLESALER.
BT Insertion Tool............... ALSO KNOWN AS IDC TOOL. FOT TERMINATING PHONE CABLES IN SOCKETS
Tool Box.......................... TOTE BAG FROM STANLEY.

Now My questions:

-What is the application of a junior hacksaw compared to a hacksaw in the electricians field? Should i buy both?

-With the numbers listed for the screwdrivers are they referring to length? And how does this reflect on the head size as i wasn't aware of a standardised length to head size? does it just mean PZ0, PZ1 And PZ2? And what about the slotted sizes?

-And finally can you suggest any good tool wholesalers for the electrician specific tools? (online or in the Bristol Area)

My suggestions in caps,.

Hi All,

First of all, the list:

Cable Knife
Claw Hammer
Double Tool Pouch
Hacksaw (Junior)
Mains Socket Tester
Mini Spirit Level
Pliers 180mm
Screwdriver Posidrive 75, 80 and 100
Screwdriver Slot 75, 100, 150, and 200
Side Cutters 160mm
Tape Measure 5m
Thread Tap (M3.5)
BT Insertion Tool
Tool Box

Now My questions:

Juniors tend to be used for cutting and making of armoured cables, But buy a full size one as well for cutting conduit etc.

-With the numbers listed for the screwdrivers are they referring to length? And how does this reflect on the head size as i wasn't aware of a standardised length to head size? does it just mean PZ0, PZ1 And PZ2? And what about the slotted sizes? Just buy a full electricians screwdriver set and you will be set for anything. I personally like the Draper expert VDE sets with the red and yellow handles but CK are good also.

Draper Expert 69234 11-Piece VDE-Approved Fully Insulated Screwdriver Set: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

Martindale are good, But if you can afford it get a decent multimeter as that will be far more use to you in the long run.

For punching down data cables, Should be able to get one from screwfix or somewhere similar.

Nothing in all honesty, Ive never used a cable knife but as they are blunter they dont tend to damage cable as easy.

Shop around for tools matey, theres some bargains to be had on Ebay and amazon.

Ide also sugest you get a decent set of water pump pliers/grips.
Also dont scimp on your side cutters, Get a decent set and they will last you years and make life easyier for you in the long term.

Hope thats some help to you.

I would recommend you get the ck technicians tool bag you can get pretty much all the tools you will need in the set. Only set back is its about ÂŁ140. eBay is a good place for tools and the like though. I always use bahco drivers and ck snips and pliers

we think the trade is going downhill, and this OP proves it. his employer has missed out the most essential tool in an apprentice's toolbox. a bloody spoon for making the tea!!!!.

Wera drivers are cheap at toolstation at the minute
Toolstation > Hand Tools > Screwdrivers > Wera Kraftform Comfort VDE Set

And I would recommend the stanley fatmax toolbox. It's waterproof heaps of room, has a good sturdy handle and latches which take a padlock. More importantly, it's a handy step up, and a seat at breaktime.
Stanley FatMax 28" Waterproof Tool Box | NoLinkingToThis

I would also consider a cheap lump hammer and brick bolster.

Personally I always use bahco drivers and ck pliers and snips. Tinyspark is spot on if you buy decent kit it lasts for years. Until you leave it above a ceiling that is!

people will always have different opinions on screwdriver you will have to find what you feel more comfortable with i personally prefer the irazols or bahco as there now known as

- - - Updated - - -

but always buy the best you can afford like ever one says will last much longer the better quality you buy.

I would say it is fair that you have got some really good advice about this.

I will give you some more.

Irrespective of what you get, the quality etc, the most important thing to remember, is to only use them for their intended purpose, use them properly, and clean and check them when you have finished. Tools treat properly will last a lot longer than those that aren't no matter how much they cost or how good they are.

Cheers.............Howard

the most important thing to remember, is to only use them for their intended purpose, use them properly, and clean and check them when you have finished. Tools treat properly will last a lot longer than those that aren't no matter how much they cost or how good they are.

Good advice that.

End of the day your jimmys are your bread and butter.
Look after them and they will look after you.

Good comfortable pair of steelies too. Nothing worse than an awful set. Wear them in before you start. You will be walking to get the bacon rolls ;)

Havent had much use of them yet, but have used them on a few bits and bobs an they are supberb. Thought the lazer tip thing sounded a bit far fetched, but they are excellent so far.

Actually, mine are diferent, these are supberb, only ÂŁ18 at the minute

Wera Kraftform Vde Screwdriver Set 7 Piece
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000297U52/ref=cm_sw_r_an_am_ap_am_gb?ie=UTF8

Id recommend knipex cutters and bahco combi pliers although expensive you will get far better value in the long run (as long as you look after your kit of course )
Screwdrivers I personally prefer the draper expert 05721 interchangable set as if your moving around a lot up and down etc it can save carrying a handful of different drivers but if you want a standard set CK ,WERA etc are all decent
Pop onto eBay and look around
Best of luck with the apprenticeship

Knipex cutter, bahco combi pliers, draper expert interchangable screwdriver set, ck claw hammer ,eclipse junior hacksaw,Beta tools full size hacksaw mains socket tester look on eBay for that there is one that's identical to the DiLog one and is the same unit but 1/3 of the price( I have both) 3.5 threaded by hall engineering,tape measure By Irwin (screwfix), toolbox Stanley tools get a decent thickness of plastic on the walls so it won't split if it gets dropped or bashed ( you'll only end up buying another. !)
Mini spirit level from screwfix and a BT tool off eBay again

As an apprentice your employer should be providing you with tools.Dont spend a whole lot of money to start with .Buy one or two tools a week they will quickly build up.I am sure the blokes you are working with will give you a few to help you out

As an apprentice your employer should be providing you with tools.Dont spend a whole lot of money to start with .Buy one or two tools a week they will quickly build up.I am sure the blokes you are working with will give you a few to help you out

Ive been on my aprentaship for over and year and still adding to my tools list.

If you need to borrow something 2-3 times in a day then its something worth thinking about.

Don't bother with power tools they will get abused by most

Ive been on my aprentaship for over and year and still adding to my tools list.

If you need to borrow something 2-3 times in a day then its something worth thinking about.

Don't bother with power tools they will get abused by most

over a year and still can't spell "apprenticeship"

. hope died with the advent of mobile phone texting.

Reply to Apprentice Tool Help in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net