Discuss Apprentice tool kit help in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

strip off a bit of sheath, cut conductors one at a time. shove the ends in lever wagos, trhen use approved voltage tester . saves blowing holes in your expensive cutters.

Just a question for you, you need to cut into the ring under the floor for example, how do YOU go about proving its dead before taking the cutters to it? I know its bad but I use a volt stick and just make sure the circuit is off, but its not really conclusive is it.

Carefully nip the sheath lengthways along the cable and peel it back to expose the cores.
Then carefully nip a little hole in the insulation of the live to be able to test L-E
Once that is isolated you can then access the neutral the same way to complete the tests.

Or else there's the good old fashioned 'choppy choppy bang bang'

Just a question for you, you need to cut into the ring under the floor for example, how do YOU go about proving its dead before taking the cutters to it? I know its bad but I use a volt stick and just make sure the circuit is off, but its not really conclusive is it.

Isolate the whole installation. You have to be really unlucky to snip into a live cable in that case. And isn't always possible.
Mind you, a good pal of mine had just that same situation happen to him. Isolated the whole installation and cut into the cable that was fed from next door's ring final.... :S

Isolate the whole installation. You have to be really unlucky to snip into a live cable in that case. And isn't always possible.
Mind you, a good pal of mine had just that same situation happen to him. Isolated the whole installation and cut into the cable that was fed from next door's ring final.... :S

if in doubt use someone else's snips

I have to say it's not an everyday occurrence, but occasionally you get faced with the dilemma!

You out know this house I'm doing work in at the moment, used to have two light circuits (up and down) until an extension was built a few years ago. Anyway , so I'm moving all the light switches and centring lights in rooms etc, and if turned out both circuits were linked, not in one, nor two but in three places! Took me 6 hours to find them all and fix. Thank god I had that martingale gadget. Oh they were on old 3036's. I'm changing the board on Tuesday.

Worse than unlucky!

The company where I served my apprenticeship had an apprentice die from cutting through a cable which should have been dead but was actually fed via a dodgy connection to next door.

i don't really think that knipex are all that great for cutters, they seem too bulky and no grip to them... bahco cutters are the best you can get IMO, the 160's.

After all, cutters and screwdrivers are what you will be using your whole apprenticeship, why not get the best (or as best as you can) right now to last? Bahco cutters and a set of Bahco screwdrivers, job done and just look after them.

When I started my apprenticeship I borrowed a couple hundred quid from my parents and paid them back a few weeks later on my first pay day (nearly all my bloody money haha!), the little tools i bought then are the ones i still have now 3 years later (although snips every 2 years is a must imo), nothing wrong with them and I intend on using them for a lot longer....bahco all the way! :D

i don't really think that knipex are all that great for cutters, they seem too bulky and no grip to them... bahco cutters are the best you can get IMO, the 160's.

After all, cutters and screwdrivers are what you will be using your whole apprenticeship, why not get the best (or as best as you can) right now to last? Bahco cutters and a set of Bahco screwdrivers, job done and just look after them.

When I started my apprenticeship I borrowed a couple hundred quid from my parents and paid them back a few weeks later on my first pay day (nearly all my bloody money haha!), the little tools i bought then are the ones i still have now 3 years later (although snips every 2 years is a must imo), nothing wrong with them and I intend on using them for a lot longer....bahco all the way! :D
how are they bulky? get the ones with slim orange/red handles

compared to the bahco they are I think, a colleague has them and i'm not a fan... even looking at the pictures too:

http://i.Upload the image directly to the thread.com/yx1ZiOSl.jpg
http://i.Upload the image directly to the thread.com/Ii6cKJMl.jpg

compared to the bahco they are I think, a colleague has them and i'm not a fan... even looking at the pictures too:

nope there the wrong ones

these

312Z8PomsXL.jpg

I dont really think you can compare those 2 pictures Jamie. The bahco ones are not VDE.

Fair comment happyhippydad. I didn't know Bahco made a VDE version of cutters, which in fact look a bit bigger then the VDE knipex.

I've used the above Bahco ones for 3 years now and they are brilliant. A lot of people use them and I have not seen any serious problems with people using them (i.e being shocked through the insulation, loosing an eye from them blowing into 100 pieces).

Yes having a VDE set of side cutters is "good practice" . But at the end of the day, common sense prevails, you dont cut through a cable you havent checked is dead. Simple.

Ive had the bahco set of side cutters for 6 years (4 years as an apprentice) now, a new set basically every 2 years to keep them sharp.

But always had Bahco Vde screwdrivers and a set of wera interchangable VDE drivers.

junior hacksaw, Irwin
non contact tester RS 166-822
pliers I vote bahco 160mm ones
imo if u cut through a live cable you are a knob, I have done it and ruined my cutters more than once and on each occasion I was a knob!
also knipexwater pump pliers are second to none,
Knipex 8701180 7-1/4-Inch Cobra Pliers - Slip Joint Pliers - Amazon.com
and bahco for the larger size
BAHCO WATER PUMP PLIERS GRIPS | eBay
and a reversible jaw adjustable
BAHCO 9031P Adjustable 8"/200mm REVERSIBLE PIPE Wrench Spanner Extra Wide 39mm | eBay
good luck!

Hi all starting apprenticeship soon and just need some brand recommendations and anything else that will come in handy when I first start! I haven't really got a price limit because I'd rather buy quality that lasts and not cheap and cheerful! Post useful information not kettle, sweeping brush etc

Already have:
screwdrivers - Bahco
Stanley knife - Stanley
claw hammer - Screwfix
toolbag -Stanley
tape measure - Stanley

Need tools:
combination/long nose pliers and side cutters (preferably a three piece set)
level
Non contact tester
junior hacksaw

anything else I've missed? Can people recommended some brands please.

Just a personal thing really Luke, others may not agree, in fact I'm sure some wont, but I have had a set of KNIPEX Installation pliers for a while, and whilst I don't do a lot of work these days (old age you'll find out as you get older) I find them very useful, they are basically snips, cable shears, pliers and long nosed pliers combined into to one tool, other manufacturers do a similar set up, but as others have sais you can't go wrong with KNIPEX.
All the best in your chosen career.

Don`t forget the good old multi meter........still got my 30 year old AVO 8. still quite accurate for a moving coil meter.

Reply to Apprentice tool kit help in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net