Discuss Stolen tools in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

@jeremy
Really sorry for you chap. That's a lot of tools and a lot of money to replace them.
There's always going to be some horrible person around that will steal tools. You have to learn from this. You must now insure your tools, It's not that expensive. I add mine on to my PL insurance and it gives me great peace of mind. in addition, you must make sure that the tools are covered in your vehicle over night as some insurance companies offer this as an extra, but do not make it clear when you take out the policy.

In addition, dead locks. Good quality deadlocks. Both my neighbours vans have been broken into and tools stolen. Mine has not been touched (kiss of death!) and I think it is because of the deadlocks. The thieves want quick easy pickings and will go for the easy van, not the hard van. However, if they really want to get in, they will, hence the insurance.

Sorry again chap.
Check your policy @HappyHippyDad, after all mine were stolen last week I discovered the actual money I should receive in no way reflects the value, as a chippy I was taught from a young age to look after and maintain my tools, I kept them in pristine condition.....turns out over 3 years old I’ll only get 50% of the actual value so even if they pay out I still won’t be able to replace what I’ve lost, lesson learnt for me ?

The criminal justice system seems to be on the side of the perpetrator rather than the householder, two burglars broke into a house and where rummaging through the kitchen cupboards when the house owners son came into the kitchen, he pointed his elbows and came down on the collar bones of one, jumped up and drop kicked the other then tied them elbow to elbow on the kitchen floor, to cut a long story short he was prosecuted for GBH by the burglars and was found guilty, this was over fifty five years ago, nothing's changed.

Check your policy @HappyHippyDad, after all mine were stolen last week I discovered the actual money I should receive in no way reflects the value, as a chippy I was taught from a young age to look after and maintain my tools, I kept them in pristine condition.....turns out over 3 years old I’ll only get 50% of the actual value so even if they pay out I still won’t be able to replace what I’ve lost, lesson learnt for me ?
Jeez! I didn't know that.

Cheers Scott, that nice peace of mind I mentioned has now gone ??

So how much were your tools insured for and what was the payout? PM me if you don't want to get into too many private details out loud. I'm just interested in what to expect, as mine are bound to get stolen at some point.

Jeez! I didn't know that.

Cheers Scott, that nice peace of mind I mentioned has now gone ??

So how much were your tools insured for and what was the payout? PM me if you don't want to get into too many private details out loud. I'm just interested in what to expect, as mine are bound to get stolen at some point.
No worries mate, don’t want anyone else getting caught like me, I was happy with myself taking out the policy and should have read the small print ? I have/had £2.5k for tools and £2.5k for stock, I thought that would be enough as I never ever anticipated losing everything in one go, but to then find out I won’t even get like for like replacement as I believed I would was a real kick......I lost probably £4.5k tools plus a load of cable/downlights and consumer units......they had a field day.......must’ve been there ages and went prepared

I've jiggled things around since this picture was taken but all my expensive tools are in a vault bolted to the floor.

82783836_10158192500018648_6831502872811667456_n.jpg

No worries mate, don’t want anyone else getting caught like me, I was happy with myself taking out the policy and should have read the small print ? I have/had £2.5k for tools and £2.5k for stock, I thought that would be enough as I never ever anticipated losing everything in one go, but to then find out I won’t even get like for like replacement as I believed I would was a real kick......I lost probably £4.5k tools plus a load of cable/downlights and consumer units......they had a field day.......must’ve been there ages and went prepared
What was your payout?

When I had my fishing stuff nicked and got a pasting for mt\y troubles, I have the satisfaction to know that one of the Perps is missing what was left of his front teeth, felt like that bloke from death wish at the time, my wife wasn't to pleased though. especially after the Sheriff and his men left, just can't believe they reported it. the nerve of some people
When I had one trying to climb into my Transit van as I was getting out he seemed to think my boss wouldn't be bothered if he nicked some stuff my response was let me get my comb and pulled out a 4ft wrecking bar I had in the footwell he queried the comb my reply was if you don't **** off I'll give you a lovely centre part
I've jiggled things around since this picture was taken but all my expensive tools are in a vault bolted to the floor.

View attachment 86966
It might slow them down for a short time, I know of a couple of people where with one they took the van vault looked like they had just ripped it out of the floor and left 2 large holes and the other they cut it open with a stihl saw

Last edited:
Will say what i say to a lot of people in trades. locally a few of us have gps trackers, you can get batteries that have gps trackers in them. will certainly improve the likelihood of recovery, if you can say to police i know where my tools are and in 5 minutes will be entering the a property to retrieve them, and would you like to come maintain the peace as you might be required to use 'proportionate' force they will be there immediately!! Have seen police issue a crime reference number to mates when they call it in without investigating, only to quickly come out when they realise people might take action themselves. in this instance the 2 nomadic caravan dwellers ended up with broken nose and somehow some caravans mysteriously caught fire in the following weeks, I am not advocating arson but you can see why people do take law into own hands. Before this the Plod turned up arrested 2 of them for possession of stolen goods. released on bail, eventually no further action was taken. - lack of evidence as they claimed to have found tools in a field.
Even smaller tracking devices located within the tools will work, I have seen an mft with a gps tracker wired into it. so it can be done. the actual tracker module is very small I did consider wiring one into my dewalt sds, when taking it apart recently to replace some parts that had worn out i realised how much space is inside the body. could easily power a tracker so that when a battery is connected it gives location.
Need to think outside the box.

The criminal justice system seems to be on the side of the perpetrator rather than the householder, two burglars broke into a house and where rummaging through the kitchen cupboards when the house owners son came into the kitchen, he pointed his elbows and came down on the collar bones of one, jumped up and drop kicked the other then tied them elbow to elbow on the kitchen floor, to cut a long story short he was prosecuted for GBH by the burglars and was found guilty, this was over fifty five years ago, nothing's changed.
I have "items" arranged around my home. I am happy given the chance to take my turn in court rather than let some scum ruin our home . I hate snowflake types that have ruined this world with PC rubbish

Will say what i say to a lot of people in trades. locally a few of us have gps trackers, you can get batteries that have gps trackers in them. will certainly improve the likelihood of recovery, if you can say to police i know where my tools are and in 5 minutes will be entering the a property to retrieve them, and would you like to come maintain the peace as you might be required to use 'proportionate' force they will be there immediately!! Have seen police issue a crime reference number to mates when they call it in without investigating, only to quickly come out when they realise people might take action themselves. in this instance the 2 nomadic caravan dwellers ended up with broken nose and somehow some caravans mysteriously caught fire in the following weeks, I am not advocating arson but you can see why people do take law into own hands. Before this the Plod turned up arrested 2 of them for possession of stolen goods. released on bail, eventually no further action was taken. - lack of evidence as they claimed to have found tools in a field.
Even smaller tracking devices located within the tools will work, I have seen an mft with a gps tracker wired into it. so it can be done. the actual tracker module is very small I did consider wiring one into my dewalt sds, when taking it apart recently to replace some parts that had worn out i realised how much space is inside the body. could easily power a tracker so that when a battery is connected it gives location.
Need to think outside the box.
Police tend not tot care.Its a case of hard luck if not insured . good luck if insured here is a crime number .many many online videos of cops not wanting to enter pikey camps when security tracking companies have located huge hauls of machinery etc .

Not nice, but the logic is understandable when you consider that few tools are built to last these days.

Many brushed motors are sealed, brushless motors are throwaway items and electroncs are all potted. Little you can repair beyond replacing a trigger switch or chuck. Tools are now disposble goods.

It might slow them down for a short time, I know of a couple of people where with one they took the van vault looked like they had just ripped it out of the floor and left 2 large holes and the other they cut it open with a stihl saw
It will slow them down, so less chance of them getting kit whilst on site, stopped at lights etc.

But as with anything a determined thief will get in, they've even started peeling the roof back to get around dead locks.

A lot of people seem to take issue with the idea of law and order or accountability.

Saw what you like about the man, but Giuliani proved beyind all doubt that tough punishments are a great deterrent to crime.

I was in New York during that time, some kids where kicking a tin can down Lexington the police told them to stop, one kick more and they where truncheoned and piled into the back of the black and white, but I did like the singes on some cars saying "Don't bother to break in, you have had the radio already"

I have "items" arranged around my home. I am happy given the chance to take my turn in court rather than let some scum ruin our home . I hate snowflake types that have ruined this world with PC rubbish
One to be aware of is the pan or kettle of boiling water, common practice when breaking in to domestic properties is to fill a kettle or pan and put it on to boil you come downstairs you get a pan of boiling water over you so always have a quilt or similar to protect yourself from being burnt if you want to confront them
Police tend not tot care.Its a case of hard luck if not insured . good luck if insured here is a crime number .many many online videos of cops not wanting to enter pikey camps when security tracking companies have located huge hauls of machinery etc .
The police only want easy pickings to keep their points score up something that takes too long to get a result doesn't get enough points and they don't hit their target
It will slow them down, so less chance of them getting kit whilst on site, stopped at lights etc.

But as with anything a determined thief will get in, they've even started peeling the roof back to get around dead locks.
It might buy you a few extra minutes but it won't slow them down for very long these people are well equipped as they make a business out of thieving
Peeling the roof back isn't new they have been doing that for at least 10 - 20 years

Reply to Stolen tools in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net