Discuss Stuck pricing a job in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hey guys, had a phone call from a local building firm.

Want me to price for a new garage install but i have no infomation on how many sockets/lights.

phones the firm they said they'll discuss with the customer what he wants etc but they want a price off me "per light, per socket" prior to that.

but how do i price not knowing how long the run is how much cable i'll need if i need to rcd protect the board or just a small garage board fed from an RCD inside the house.

He said it'll be something along the lines of:
2 x lights
2 x sockets
1 x water heater outlet point
1 x fan

so i can probably get away with running a 6mm2 i'm just stuck on how to price it without out knowing what is exactly wanted or seeing the job....

Need it to be done by the 13th May.

cant really give you a good price, are you putting in cable underground to garage or is it just off the house?
give him a quote however say you havent seen the job and so that the quote isnt acurate.
think around 600 inc test and cert.+materials

If its your average garage you not looking at many points possibly one light and 4 or 5 sockets. I'd say 40 per point exluding materials

Then cost to Inspect and Test.

all you can do is price per point but put in in writting that the price is based on certain provisions, as in based on the assumption that there is already rcd protection. He must know whether its an integral or detached garage so you can find out whether there is any need to put the feed underground. Or the other option is to price per point and suggest you bring the feed in on a time and materials basis.

Liam, i have do a fair bit for a local builder on Domestic extensions, refurbs etc. I have fixed prices that i charge him for sockets and lights - 45 per socket, 30 per light and switch, 35 per smoke, 35 per ext fan. I know that some jobs i will use a fair amount of cable, but often you get 2 sockets together so they are easy enough. Like some one else has mentioned, do the quote how you think and add something in writing about variations. (put it as an estimate rather than a quote!). Leave the mains of possible.

Re putting as seperate labour and materials, if he is paying you CIS, you need to do that anyway, but personally i wouldnt!

Estimate for Supply and Installation:

Installation to Garage.

Based on Installing the following:
2 x Sockets
2 x Lights + switches
1 x 40A Supply Brought into garage
1 x 5 Way Board (Providing RCD already exists on main board)
1 x Fan + isolator
1 x Outlet for water heater

Price is done on my own estimation of whats involved without looking at job.
Price also includes Test & Inspection + Part P notification.

Materials:236.00
Labour: £300.00
Total: £536.00

Now wondering if thats to cheap? Dont like pricing jobs without seeing them or talking to the customer and exactly knowing what he/she wants. OR if i should just write
£x per socket fitted etc.

Reply to Stuck pricing a job in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net