Discuss Stupid price for PAT testing in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Top Cat

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
An old customer rang me today (tight as a ducks ---) and asked if i did PAT testing.

Yes no problem.

What do you charge?

£2.50

What, per item!!!

Yes

Well i was expecting to pay up to 50 - 60 pence at a push.

Find someone else!

As I cannot compete with the large firms who simply write out green stickers for 50 pence a time (no actual testing involved), but want a minimum amount (usually at least £100 worth), I only do small scale testing for clients who have just a few items or need items testing ad hoc. I charge the time taken, after testing and repairing as necessary.

Depends how many items mate. My ex boss used to do them for a quid per item. On good days he would make upwards of 400 a day just me and him testing.

I charge £?? minimum for 12 items + microwave test its the only way I can cover my cost plus I cannot see me doing a lot but as I have said before I need it as a part of my services even although I dont do a lot

I'm testing 8 items next week, for £50 - which is my minimum charge.

As above I don't do much, but comes in useful from time to time.

No not at all but if I did I wouldn't do for less than £1.80.... Even that I consider low. 2 years ago I was charging £2.50 a test

I use PAT as a way of gaining more work, the 800 are at a large commercial premises so could be a foot in the door.... Even so it's still £1.80 or walk away for me.

Ive done 1500 on a holiday camp,took 2 weeks if i remember rightly,had to take some headphones as the constant drone of the pat tester was sending me barking mad.:stuart:

32k.....!!! wow.... that like 160 days of work at 200 items a day!!

i would happily do it for 75p an item...! £24k for a half years work...! simples!

would cry at the end though! ~:(

Well if I am asked to quote for 800 I know and hope I will not get it and as I said it is their to compliment my business and so far I have had to test 6 ,12 and 4 items all at the same minimum cost and nobody batted an eye and that suits me

We had a network cable installation team at work the other day. The boss man asked if I did PAT testing and how much. I told him £1.60 per item, no minimum. He only had 4 items (Drill battery chargers). He went to give me a tenner. I said no £5 will do. He was well made up. I asked him if he had any spare network cable and plugs. he gave me them for no charge. He must have been quoted loads for the PAT testing before he asked me.

Reply to Stupid price for PAT testing in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net