Discuss Switch spur by a sink in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Agreed, but can anyone identify it anywhere?. I can't find any reference to 300mm so am seeking some help to clarify my understanding!

But maybe in the BYB we will have a set of special location rules for kitchens ........ or maybe not!

Bathroom zones don't apply to basins so why make it more complicated.

The sensible solution (and easiest for us all to remember) would be apply the zones applicable to a bath (zones 0, 1 & 2).

That's what I would do if reviewing the regs:

K - keep
I - it
S- simple
S - stupid!

We had this at work, there is no actual set distance for a sink that is not in a special location, but only guidance is 300mm. Hope this helps. The only thing you could say is it has to be suitable for its location and external influences but that is a judgement call.

Thats my query! Are the building regs actually mentioning the 300mm or it that the interpretation within the guide to the building regs by the author? And if the 300mm is mentioned in the building regs is that from the edge of the sink (bit like zones in the bathroom) or is it just 300mm in any direction from the edge of the sink?

I always thought the 300mm was an interpretation of the building regs rather than actually being mentioned specifically in the building regs.

But it can be said that going vertically is still 300mm from the edge, it's all down to people's interpretation of the regs, 7671 is the same

Agreed, but can anyone identify it anywhere?. I can't find any reference to 300mm so am seeking some help to clarify my understanding!

But maybe in the BYB we will have a set of special location rules for kitchens ........ or maybe not!

The 300mm distance (horizontally from the edge of the sink as shown in the diagram) is specified in the EGTTBR as a recommendation to avoid accessories getting splashed. It even states that this is general guidance.

BS7671 provides quite a lot of information on protection against external influences but no specific rules for kitchens/sinks except that the equipment should be suitable for the location and it is left to the professional installer to make this judgement.

The building regulations are a statement of law and not an installation guide so that level of detail would not be expected, however this recommendation is not in the Building services compliance guide either, so it is presumably just general good practice that the EGTTBR advocates.

I have seen the day when I did bathe - naked - in the kitchen sink ........ about 1951 I think it was.

Now don't be coy darling................ you enjoyed your sponge down with Vim and Mr Muscle last week ...............

Attachments

• bath.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 29
It was only in the early eighties , a customer asked me to knock off early one day , they were getting the tin bath out and each have a bath , all they had at this house was an outside toilet ,,,

Reply to Switch spur by a sink in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net