Discuss Testing fixed appliances in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

peehead

Hi all,

i've been asked to test a number of fixed appliances in a flat and haven't has any experience with these yet. I'm wondering do I just disconnect them from the wall and using my fluke 1651 multi meter do insulation and continuity tests at the flex going into the appliance or would you test from the CU just to cover that circuit.

You have to do it at the appliance:
1, Functional test then isolate.
2, Cable and appliance visual condition check.
3, Fuse rating.
4, Security of connections to the supply and correct polarity.
5, Check means of isolation from the supply eg: FCU

Then do your checks

Recommend another quick function check after the testing to see if anything has screwed up. If you check basic function before and after, they can't claim "it was working before you put that machine on it"

Finally record results and sticker it.

ps: The 60p/label Cowboys just do the recording and sticker operations!!!!

You could Use a r1r2 plug tester along with your fluke leads also just to highlight if you are a spark you can test at the fcu if not then you are not insured.

Yes I know but welcome to the world of ISITEE

r1r2 plug tester plugged into PAT m/c, 3 leads from r1r2 plug to ends of disconnected flex in FCU, probe/croc clip attached to appliance, hit the go button. Don't forget safe isolation procedure before removing FCU from wall :)

I've no idea at all, I'm having a real blonde moment. With the r1r2 plug there is know here to plug it into. Is there any videos or pics out there of the test process.

I had a play with my micro and just had to stop as I had no idea. My mate has my book at no as he's studying for his pat testing course hence I'm in the dark.

Continuity test.

Turn fluke 1651 to continuity test. One croc clip on earth pin and other in Line

Insulation test I can't get for some reason. I'm missing something but not sure what

All help is good

Reply to Testing fixed appliances in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net