Discuss The joys of being 19 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
feedback on an apprenticeship application (I did state I would get a car if I had a start date as I do have a license) "Hi Aaron

You as a person came across very well and I wouldn’t say you need to change anything about yourself. The issues I had was the fact that you do not have any transport and although you live close to other Electricians there would never be any guarantee that you would be able to get a lift either to or from the office. Also, having spoken to JTL, it would appear that you would need to begin your Apprenticeship from scratch, which would incur an employee contribution of £1500.00 per year, which we are not in a position to do.

Regards.

******"

How do they expect for new apprentices to get into the industry if they won't part contribute to the training cost? Do they think that there going to have the same peoole working there forever!

Only funding for 16-18 year old and even though i've completed the 2330 level 2 I'd have start from scratch, hopefully i'll find someone to take me on as a labourer and then work my way up, i'd prefer to do an apprenticeship as it is more respected within the trade. Its either that or a 7WW...... Labouring it shall be!

Only funding for 16-18 year old and even though i've completed the 2330 level 2 I'd have start from scratch, hopefully i'll find someone to take me on as a labourer and then work my way up, i'd prefer to do an apprenticeship as it is more respected within the trade. Its either that or a 7WW...... Labouring it shall be!

Thats not true, they do fund some adult learners but not many

Have you tried Rolls Royce, Bombardier and Toyota? Both massive employers in Derby? The breweries in Burton aren't too far from you.

not installation electricians but may help you get qualified.

dont give up.

send a letter to every electrical firm, try offering a weeks unpaid work experience to prove yourself.

I agree with Kate on this. Not many people would offer themselves for free, and that shows you are willing, which is a very attractive thing to a perspective employer

it worked for me :) many years ago when girls were not accepted much. did two lots of free work experience, second one secured my apprenticeship.

What about seeing if you can get a loan to pay for your studies, go direct to college, tell employer you will pay for colllege you just need the time off. repay loan with wages and you are on your way.

What about seeing if you can get a loan to pay for your studies, go direct to college, tell employer you will pay for colllege you just need the time off. repay loan with wages and you are on your way.

The job was little over minimum apprentice rate, so with tools, car, insurance and the general cost of living a 6k of debt isn't really an option. I did try mentioning about not going through JTL and being a labourer but they were adamant about JTL as it would cost them more each week to employ someone full time because of wages.

Im not saying your wrong but its how i did it although it was some time ago, in my first and second year I had to work in a pub at weekends to make ends meet, i needed a car anyway so it had to be paid for regardless, once I had a bit of experience I jumped ship and the new company paid for the rest of the course so it didnt cost me the full amount.

Thr college dont ask for £6k up front do they?

I realise this may not be a preferred route but when you look at it in the grand scheme of things like potential earnings for a considerable time a couple of years of hardship arnt that bad.

dont give up.

send a letter to every electrical firm, try offering a weeks unpaid work experience to prove yourself.

I work full time for a plumber so I couldn't keep having weeks off to work for someone else, if i had an offer for a short period i'd take it off as holiday and see where it leads or just as a reference/ experience, but I don't wan't to lose a full time construction job

Reply to The joys of being 19 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net