Discuss The New AM2 Test in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

markysparky

I think lots of us on here are looking for advice on what the new AM2 test entails. There is some information available on the NET website but I urge those that have taken the new AM2 test to post what they completed to help build a picture of what is required. I have lots of AM2 information that is now out of date so any help from you up and coming sparkies would be gratefully appreciated.

Once I get some new information I may be able to create a new guide using new and some old information

Markysparky

I do not have a clue what you mean.

What is AM2 test? What is the NET Website?

Can you please explain, i've had a real bad day. Ta

Hye marky, i have my AM2 starting tomorrow, quite nervous but shouldnt be too bad. Comes in 4 parts, Installation, Inspection and Testing, Fault Finding and an Online Exam.

Installation
(All containment and accessories are installed for you)

Install the following circuits
A ring main with 1 socket spurred from another, there is a spur on the circuit but nothing is on the load side. This circuit must be on an RCBO.

An intermediate lighting circuit whereby the mains goes to one of the switches rather than the light itself (i had never wired this way myself but its no harder once you're shown how).

CO2 detector wired in FP200 via a switched fused spur.

Two data points (this is just a bit of data cable linking the two)

A 3 phase socket wired in 4 core armoured to an isolator, then to the socket with singles via copex (flexible conduit).

A 3 phase motor wired in singles to the isolator then armour flex to the motor.

An S plan heating system, now this is where it gets tricky. It has two parts, heating, and hot water. On your refresher you will be shown how to wire this. But it's more time consuming than anything else.

Inspection and Testing

It is what you think it is, just a normal inspection and testing on all circuits, so brush up on them although the refresher will inform you of different and faster methods of testing.

Fault Finding

This is the 1 I'm dreading, you get about 7 faults on different circuits, but the bay you fault find in is identical to how your completed bay should look (while doing fault finding have a peek at what is required during installation). You definately get two faults on the heating system but once youve been taught them, they are easy to notice.

Online Exam

This is just a multi-choice exam on a computer. One of them ones whee you can get terribly hard questions or unbelievable easy ones.

I don't know if I'll get penalized for this but this is all information I have been given prior to my AM2 so i don't see how it's not allowed to be given. Hope this helped...wish me luck for tomorrow :)

Thanks mate, and I passed! :D, there was one thing which tries to catch you out, dont wanna give it away, but the instruction they give you which is correct is that if you can read then you won't miss it. The only thing I almost slipped up on was terminating the data cable. I misunderstood how it was done and when I did a quick test prior to my proper testing I found this and rectified it. I know it's a cliché but it is all nerves. After you settle in and you have your time to just install then you fly on with it.

St jimmy 713

In guessing the thing that tries to catch you out is the link between live and 5 on the channel timer on the heating system? :) passed my exam today

l
St jimmy 713

In guessing the thing that tries to catch you out is the link between live and 5 on the channel timer on the heating system? :) passed my exam today

Stephen can you tell me if all the things listed by st jimmy 713 are still in the am2, and if not could you explain whats involved. I am planning to take the exam this year and would like to know what to expect.

Thanks alot.

l

Stephen can you tell me if all the things listed by st jimmy 713 are still in the am2, and if not could you explain whats involved. I am planning to take the exam this year and would like to know what to expect.

Thanks alot.

Hi Stec

Yeah that's pretty much it just brush up on your testing and safe isolation!!
practise s.w.a and sy flex as has to be run across cable tray so not much room for error.
Heating system is time consuming so I'd advise to do this sooner than later.

Hi does anyone know what kind of fault finding problems you can be faced with in the am2 exam? Is it just short circuits or high resistance joints crossed polarity ect?
Thanks
Joe

Reply to The New AM2 Test in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net