• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss The thorny subject of coding... in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

O

Octopus

I was sent an EICR to comment on....

When I saw the report :

1. CU not AMD 3 compliant - C3
2. Circuits are not identified at consumer unit - C2 (yet the report lists what they are)
3. Cables buried in walls are not RCD protected - C2
4. Lighting circuit serving bathroom is not RCD protected

Interestingly he commented, but didn't code a slightly high end to end reading on a Ring circuit CPC

Been into the property today, so my thoughts are:

1. No code, CU is in a cupboard off the hall, so not under the stairs or in an escape route
2. No code - but labeling would be sensible
3. C3
4. C2

So the "inspector" has recommended a new CU @£350 + VAT

How can people code in such a way?

I'm investigating if the cu MCB for the lights can be changed for a RCBO (see photo) so if anyone can help me with this I'd be grateful

tfn

The thorny subject of coding... Tudor Court - EletriciansForums.net

Personally I would code the DB as we are told that these are a fire hazard. Therefore I feel better to code it and they can decide what to do about it (likely nothing). I would also agree with coding unidentified circuits. Probably FI as we cannot say whether they are safe or unsafe when we don't know where they are going! As for the lighting circuit if adequate supplementary bonding was in place then I would settle for C3, otherwise definitely C2.

Is that all that is on the Report, no additional rcd protection and plastic CU, if so must be one of these new testing fellas who can't see further than the end of their noses.

Coding aside,if you guys came across a single rcd consumer unit feeding the power circuits but the two lighting circuits only had mcb protection then would the condition report be 'satisfactory' or 'unsatisfactory'.Some would argue that the installation is perfectly safe but doesn't conform to current regs. Obviously the non compliant mcbs would be commented on but would the overall report be 'satisfactory' or 'unsatisfactory'?

Not being there, but if all else is up to spec and installed correctly, then I'm thinking C3 for them - as it was done to 16th edition regulation.

If there was no labelling and no previous reports, then I'd be the poor plod to work through that as part of the inspection :)

There has always been debate over this and I think it is worse since we changed the definitions of the Categories to what are now the Codes. The old Categories were nicely stepped with their definitions but I think the new Codes are not, Codes 1 and 2 are very close in interpretation with what I feel is a jump to the other two leaving people unwilling to use the latter due to their definitions.

The metal CU business certainly gives the unscrupulous more ammunition to encourage needless board changes.

1. No code.
2. C3.
3. C3.
4. C3.
Though to be honest #2 is an easy fix with a sharpie or some left over labels.
At least the inspector didn't try to charge extra for fixing faults 2, 3 and 4.

1. C3 if board isn't located under a stairway or in an escape route. If neither is applicable, then no code.
2. C3
3. C3
4. C3 if supplementary bonding is present, if not then most definitely a C2.

Where does this stairway and escape route business come from.

From Electrical Safety's Best Practice Guide 4: Electrical Installation Condition Reporting: Classification Codes For Domestic And Similar Electrical Installations.

A C3 should be issued:

For inspections carried out after 1st January 2016: Presence of a consumer unit or similar switchgear made from combustible material (e.g. plastic) that is not inside a non-combustible enclosure and which is:

• Located under a wooden staircase, or

• within a sole route of escape from the premises

Reply to The thorny subject of coding... in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back