Discuss Things you see but cant believe!! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

chiplard

Can you spot the work of an idiot.

Howard CU.jpg

A categoric YES I think.

Hey it is all fine, there are no RCDs so it wont matter! (oops!)
Pity he ran out of green and yellow sleeving and forgot about correct termination with no copper showing!
I like what I assume is the main earth going round the CU to the left.

beautiful work, whoever did that is a credit to our profession. Hope you're picking up the sarcasm guys
I don't like the fact that not only has the order of the conductors in the neutral bar been interupted, but also the link will be interupted when the main switch is open.
Should have taken the link to the feed side of the main switch.

and forgot about correct termination with no copper showing!

I would defy you or anyone else to terminate in one of those boards without any conductive part showing. Look at the terminal shrouding.
They were what we had available at the time.
MCB’s? Nobody trusted those foreign things in their house! I knew they were the way forward but after my mate’s house caught fire I didn’t trust them.

The worst thing about it n all is theres recent work gone on here (new colours but STILL no sleaving) whoever attempted to pull that new cable in to that shower of **** whants stopping as they should have either condemned it or sorted it all out first..........

Where’s the reversed polarity?
Have a close look at the mains tails that looks like brown live conductor fed into the neutral terminal of which them old wylex fuseboards are not DP isolated i know that because i once got a nasty belt isolating a shower switch some clown reversed polarity on the fuseboard

Wylex boards were DP isolated, I’ve stripped enough of them to know.
If you can’t tell the difference between brown and black then I’d start getting worried.

robskiing,
I would say that the L/H sheathed tail is black, but my eyes and this computer do leave a lot to be desired, plus the white balance is all to pot on the pic, probably an old tungsten lamp to blame there!

Reminds me of the typical quality of a early 1980's barrats house, both phase and neutral from the 60A switch fuse to the consumer unit were wired in red.. The temporary fix when I discovered it was to check polarity and then use some black tape...

Mind you...been at the "joint box" house today (as we have christened it)...lol.....i think at the last count we have had about 20 odd out of there.....a poor install by any standards..........

Where’s the reversed polarity?

Hello

Not sure if covered already but to me, the tail supplying the visible LHS of the main isolator on the old wylex board is....brown...? There are black cables to it's left and it looks brown (tail) to me. I also am assuming the LHS of the DP iso feeds the neutral bar-can't be sure from memory but makes sense.

That's where I see it but am always ready to take a good cuffing for being wrong....

Reply to Things you see but cant believe!! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net