Discuss Thoughts please, SWA vs T&E in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

How many deaths aren't too many then?

Why shouldn't we strive to prevent deaths on the roads?

It's not that, it's the fact that things like 'Vision Zero' strive to reach an unattainable target. As people have said above, there will always be deaths no matter what you do to mitigate them.

How many deaths aren't too many then?
It's a really good question but ultimately its unanswerable. Zero is impossible, millions is unacceptable.

The safety industry, like the racism and sexism and LGBT industries, has won all the major battles. Its the same with any process improvement initiative, they deliver mesurable and meaningful results at their inception but quickly the results drop off as the cost, effort and inconvenience increase exponentially.

But, back to acceptable numbers, this is not an alien concept. Look at the Covid, or any, vaccine. It's known that a certain number of people will die as a direct result of the vaccine but many, many more will be saved.

It is a calculation that already exists.

It's an often quoted truism that changing a light bulb in the NHS costs £75, how much of this is down H&S, Approved Contractor status, DBS checks. All for vanishingly small risks.

Not just light bulbs but all other services carry the Safety surcharge, how many more lives could be saved by the NHS if they weren't spending money trying to avoid otherwise miniscule safety risks.

Why shouldn't we strive to prevent deaths on the roads?
We should, should we ban driving to achieve it?

It is the law of diminishing returns, at some point, all the effort you put in to make one thing safer is wasted as it only saves a few lives per year.
resources might have been better spent by improving road safety around schools instead (for instance)

Picture of inside the Bill bus bar chamber.

20220813_111508.jpg

Can't remember who wanted it but here it is.

Attachments

• 20220813_122711.jpg
    496.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 20220813_104705.jpg
    423.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 20220813_110645.jpg
    430.4 KB · Views: 27
Wasn't expecting that those latter Eaton clamps may well fit in fact they almost certainly will if you get the correct size. This should be on the other thread.

Reply to Thoughts please, SWA vs T&E in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net