Discuss tiling in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

agreed. rip it up. you want the tiles stuck to the floor, not bloody lino.

Rip the lino up. Then prime the sub base before tiling. If you have a screed sub base use a regular adhesive, avoid rapid set if you cant tile quick. If your sub base is green chipboard you need to use flexible adhesive and if you have regular floorboards you need to either overboard in ply or take the boards up and lay green board or 25mm ply and again use flexible adhesive and grout.

I tiled my mothers bathroom, all I can say is messy if first time, but I've learnt a few tricks since then for next time.

Remember to measure so you don't end up with 10mm cutting down a side . Apply too tile and stick each one by one instead of covering floor.

I tiled my mothers bathroom, all I can say is messy if first time, but I've learnt a few tricks since then for next time.

Remember to measure so you don't end up with 10mm cutting down a side . Apply too tile and stick each one by one instead of covering floor.

I spread adhesive over the floor and back butter the tiles which makes for a good grab

Take the Lino up, believe me you WILL regret tiling on top of lino, it's a no brain-er really

Rip the lino up. Then prime the sub base before tiling. If you have a screed sub base use a regular adhesive, avoid rapid set if you cant tile quick. If your sub base is green chipboard you need to use flexible adhesive and if you have regular floorboards you need to either overboard in ply or take the boards up and lay green board or 25mm ply and again use flexible adhesive and grout.

Very good advice. If the lino resists (like mine did) over board in ply and use flexy.

Don't do what I did and forget to trim doors down to compensate for the extra height of the floor and end up having to break the tiles up due to tiling one of your kitchen doors shut. :eek:

Thats a good idea, no need to measure up.
If you end up with an unsightly slither of tile along the plinth or wall you can easily drag the whole thing about to make it more pleasing on yhe eye.:lipsrsealed2:

i will take the lino up and lay it on the 6mm ply , if i were to put 25mm ply down and the adhesive and then tiles it would be 35mm higher than the hall , i would need a punty up everytime i went to get a beer out the fridge

Reply to tiling in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net