Discuss Time to call it a day in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Sorry I call it commercial as it's 9 buildings not a factory. Yes I hate predict text. 32amp breaker supplying a small 2 way board and 16a mcbs in turn each mcb supplying a toaster.
Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Have the regulations changed that much ?

Changed from when? I don't think 2.5 has ever been given a current rating in excess of 32A

Has no one brought up the issue that the loads are in excess of 2 Kw and require independant circuits, it sounds like the OP fed a 2way board from a 32amp mcb with 2,5cable now if that was a ringmain tap off then he has breached the regulation in the fact that the designed loads are in excess of 2kw and would need their own individual circuit.
If the OP has wired it direct from its own 32amp mcb then I still think the installation is in poor design, it's been stated that these toasters are rated at 16amp so this should be the designed load value not a clamped value, we do not have enough info on the toasters to comment any further but they could be power regulated to control the heat better or the voltage to the premises may have been lower than normal that day due to network loading and VD, what would happen if that was rectified in the future thus these toasters may draw more current and possible overload the cable.

You cannot even use the fixed load regulation to allow a higher rated OCPD than the cable because the cable does not meet the specified ampage of the toasters combined so I have to agree here its a poorly design and could become dangerous, regardless of still been on the 16th edition here, this shouldn't have been design this way even if your on the 15th edition on paper.
See #14.

And they are often much greater. If you look at the cable standards you will see that they are designed for domestic installations. You can claim that T&E in non-domestic installations is good practice all you want but it says more about you than me if you think that. It is frankly an abhorrent practice which only occurs because it is a cheap way of doing things - not because it is a good way.
I don't recall me stating it is good practice nor how I go about installing commercial installations. Still waiting where any Standard states it is not suitable commercial installations. Not interested in examples but fact backing up your original statement.

I was specifically refering to the discussion about it possibly been on a ring (which we know is not the case now), no one seemed to bring up the fact it would still contravene regulations due to the load size been >2kw but the discussion went on for a while about the legality of spuring off the ring while ignoring the fact it still wouldn't comply.
I did clock it had been mentioned about the OCPD been larger than the cable, on that point I was just re-enforcing it, I should have been clearer possible in my reply.:)

Op your 32a was too big a breaker/fuse always has been always will be. Best just put hands up and fess up to a B up rather than jacking it all in after 30 years. Secondly go and do your 17th there really is no need for you NOT to have done it. Your employer should pay for this if you are not self employed.
On to the T+E argument - personal opinions are not law nor are they regulations. No matter how many times you repeat them they still are not either of the above. There must be tens of thousands of commercial installations in the UK today that are predominantly wired in "normal" T+E. As far as I am aware they are breaking no regulations nor laws nor rules.
Yes it would be fantastic if the whole world was wired in micc....In my humble opinion one of the best cables out there in terms of protection ect....But then in the real world............
I can only assume some people either do not ever do commercial or are working for a company in a little cocoon who never do commercial shop fit-outs ect. It's very east to say that this isn't right or that isn't good practice until a client states well you can price for this job that may keep your guys in work for 3 months but it's all in T+E...decision time big lad T+E or JSA for you and your guys ? Especially as T+E is suitable and perfectly legal for the job.....Your call lol.

I can only assume some people either do not ever do commercial or are working for a company in a little cocoon who never do commercial shop fit-outs ect.
I do a lot of commercial including shopfits (often as a subbie), and am happy to say that it is almost always steel trunking with either PVC or steel conduit drops and wired in LS0H singles (6491B) throughout! I can count on one hand the amount of times I have been engaged in non-domestic T&E jobs and I thank God for that given the apparent frequency of such jobs in England!

There is no point whatsoever in pretending that T&E has been designed for anything other than house bashing.

I do a lot of commercial including shopfits (often as a subbie), and am happy to say that it is almost always steel trunking with either PVC or steel conduit drops and wired in LS0H singles (6491B) throughout! I can count on one hand the amount of times I have been engaged in non-domestic T&E jobs and I thank God for that given the apparent frequency of such jobs in England!

There is no point whatsoever in pretending that T&E has been designed for anything other than house bashing.
Twin and earth has the advantages of being a wiring system contained within its self(sheathed) and is ideal for wiring under ceiling/floor voids, installing through walls without added mechanical protection as long as it's installed correctly. Singles as we know need containment through out their length.
Both wiring systems have a place in commercial installations and are used in such a manner.
Don't see what the big deal is really!

I beg to differ.2.5 cable can take a max of 27 amps if clipped direct.23amps in a wall or 21 amps above a plasterboard ceiling with insulation.Putting a 2.5 on anything bigger than a 20amp breaker would be madness.Personally i would put a 16amp breaker feeding it.If you wish to back up your claim then please quote the relevant BS7671 number.
Reg 433.1.5 ?

Reply to Time to call it a day in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net