Discuss Toilet Downpipes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sean7112

I am working in a large house and was wondering if we need to bond the metal downpipes which run through the house. a. All circuits are protected by RCBO

as he said ^^^^^/ test to see if they're extraneous.

I am working in a large house and was wondering if we need to bond the metal downpipes which run through the house. a. All circuits are protected by RCBO

If they are extraneous then they will need main bonding at the point of entry,in which case rcd protection is irrelevant.If they are extraneous relative to a special location they may need supplementary bonding in which case rcd protection is relevant.....I thought all electricians knew that....are you a plumber or something?

...And if you determine it needs bonding,bare in mind everyone that follows you will be boxing/hiding your connection. Also do not be tempted to do what some fellow must have done in the seventies,at a property i visited a while ago. He drilled and tapped a 3/8 ths UNC bolt into the cast iron soil stack to fix the eyed terminal,unfortunately the protruding threaded end catching every bit of debris exiting the bath the other side...

Don't forget if the extraneous part is not normally available to be touched it doesn't need to be bonded, so if it is boxed in all the way through the house then it is irrelevant.

And earth clamps with an extra long strap are available, ive had to bond a cast iron stack before with one.

As I recall there is no metallic connection between sections of pipe. The intake (eerr outtake) will be plastic or salt glaze.
I only spent 14 years making cast iron pipes, what do I know.

Reply to Toilet Downpipes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Doing some work in a commercial restaurant/kitchen the builders had already boarded and plastered the walls meaning my only viable route is to use...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a client with a small caravan site, approx 5 hookups. His old toilet block was nothing much more than an old shed. He's now 'upgraded'...
Replies
Views
Whats everyone's take on this, turned up today to start a re-wire and yet again there wasn't any toilet on the job so we ring the builder and he...
Replies
Views
If you were to test a metal staircase on the side of the house on insulation resistance and it gave you a dead short. Would that need bonding...
Replies
Views
Guys Need some advice please. I was asked last week to investigate a burning smell in a toilet turned out it was an extract fan one of 2 The...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock