Discuss Torque Talk in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I think they are mentioned in the regs for fine stranded wires aren't they?
Not exactly, but 526.9.1 says the ends have to be "suitably treated" and ferrules are one way to do that. The other common way is the ultrasonic weld you see on some RCBO neutral tails that are fine-stranded.

Also that section (526.9.2/3) say no to tinning conductors for screw terminals, etc.

Soldering is great though if it is actually the means of connection!

Not exactly, but 526.9.1 says the ends have to be "suitably treated" and ferrules are one way to do that. The other common way is the ultrasonic weld you see on some RCBO neutral tails that are fine-stranded.

Also that section (526.9.2/3) say no to tinning conductors for screw terminals, etc.

Soldering is great though if it is actually the means of connection!
Indeed, but who in their right mind gets out the soldering iron station when it takes 2s to put a ferrule on?!

In the days before ferrules were widely known outside the panel-building industry, it was quite a popular albeit misguided pastime. For example, we saw a number of small theatre lighting installations with a plug patch at the dimmers, where the flexible patch cords were tinned before connecting to the conduit cables via normal terminal block. Someone obviously tinned their way along the line of them making each and every connection a loose one.

As above, was quite common and obviously enough for it to be added to the regs as a no-no.

Ferrules are quite a neat way of helping fine stranded wire, and occasionally I have put them on coarse stranded if it is a big screw terminal instead of cage-clamp, etc, as I have seen wires removed and looking worryingly tin and flat as a result.

I'm all for the correct tightness in theory, it winds me up when colleagues use impact drivers to tighten (permanently weld) screw connections in CU's. I'd bet the correct, recommended torque, is less than normal wrist driver tightness.

If it becomes mandatory bureaucracy, how long until you need a calibration certificate for your torque screwdriver.

As above, was quite common and obviously enough for it to be added to the regs as a no-no.

Ferrules are quite a neat way of helping fine stranded wire, and occasionally I have put them on coarse stranded if it is a big screw terminal instead of cage-clamp, etc, as I have seen wires removed and looking worryingly tin and flat as a result.
You only have to fix one and then take it out again to see where the screw clamped down and all the strands it missed!

I'm all for the correct tightness in theory, it winds me up when colleagues use impact drivers to tighten (permanently weld) screw connections in CU's. I'd bet the correct, recommended torque, is less than normal wrist driver tightness.

If it becomes mandatory bureaucracy, how long until you need a calibration certificate for your torque screwdriver.

You should have it calibrated regularly already.

Reply to Torque Talk in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net