Discuss Torque Talk in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I'm all for the correct tightness in theory, it winds me up when colleagues use impact drivers to tighten (permanently weld) screw connections in CU's. I'd bet the correct, recommended torque, is less than normal wrist driver tightness.

If it becomes mandatory bureaucracy, how long until you need a calibration certificate for your torque screwdriver.

The amount of Sparks I see using their 18v impact to do a consumer unit change grinds my gears , that hammer impact action on all the connections can't be good for them. I have no idea how many NM the average Dewalt 18v Impact driver delivers but I bet its more than the desired torque needed for the average MCB or RCBO terminal.

Just looked at some of the MI and some 18v impact drivers can deliver up to 1800NM of Torque yet many Sparks think this is an acceptable tool to make CU connections

Jim Carrey Omg GIF

Last edited:
The amount of Sparks I see using their 18v impact to do a consumer unit change grinds my gears , that hammer impact action on all the connections can't be good for them. I have no idea how many NM the average Dewalt 18v Impact driver delivers but I bet its more than the desired torque needed for the average MCB or RCBO terminal.

Just looked at some of the MI and some 18v impact drivers can deliver up to 1800NM of Torque yet many Sparks think this is an acceptable tool to make CU connections

Jim Carrey Omg GIF
I haven't long bought a bosch go screwdriver, I've only used it to tighten up some kitchen doors so far :)

Is Setting your Torque screwdriver to the highest setting and using it as a normal screwdriver Bad for it ? Will months and months of it being set to the highest setting eventually mess with the Lower settings ?

Is Setting your Torque screwdriver to the highest setting and using it as a normal screwdriver Bad for it ? Will months and months of it being set to the highest setting eventually mess with the Lower settings ?
Yes

When storing a torque wrench for an extended period of time, always wind it down to the minimum scale setting and not to zero

Are you saying you’ve ran out of normal screwdrivers?
Not at all , I love a Screwdriver and still have my old CK set and old WIha set in my every day carry bag

But I have 2 Vde torque sets that see the light of day maybe once a month and I have considered just ramping up to the highest torque and just using them as normal everyday drivers

Are you saying you’ve ran out of normal screwdrivers?
Using it as a screwdriver without going over the torque setting shouldn’t do much harm, but hitting the setting and continuing to tighten, I wouldn’t have thought would do it any good.
I must admit I alway go over terminations again manually with a normal driver at the same time as giving the cable a wriggle near where it terminates doing it that way I sleep better 😜

Not at all , I love a Screwdriver and still have my old CK set and old WIha set in my every day carry bag

But I have 2 Vde torque sets that see the light of day maybe once a month and I have considered just ramping up to the highest torque and just using them as normal everyday drivers
It’s ok if you can afford to waste them 😎
I keep the torque set and bits for just that.

At least I known the bits aren’t worn away when I come to use it

Using it as a screwdriver without going over the torque setting shouldn’t do much harm, but hitting the setting and continuing to tighten, I wouldn’t have thought would do it any good.
I must admit I alway go over terminations again manually with a normal driver at the same time as giving the cable a wriggle near where it terminates doing it that way I sleep better 😜
I do this ALOT and I know it makes using a torque driver a bit pointless but its just the way I'm wired

Reply to Torque Talk in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net