Discuss towel rail and porcelain tiles in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,
Just looking for an idea or two regarding a dual fuel towel rail.

At the time of 1st fixing house client was unsure whether it was going to be dual fuel so we agreed to install the cable just in case.
So i installed a switched fused spur outside the bathroom and left enough cable behind the wall where the towel rail was to be installed. At the time of 1st fix i didn't know where the cable entry for the rail was going to be so didn't want to install back box as it could be in completely wrong position.

So now the tilers been and installed these lovely very pricey porcelain tiles all over and i need to somehow connect the towel rail cable with my cable behind the tiles.

normally i would install standard flex outlet for the connection but cant think of a good way to cut out a square hole in the wall tiles to accommodate back box.

The easiest option i can think of is to cut a round hole and installing round plasterboard box. But excuse my ignorance...can you fix square plates onto the round back box? Never installed them so wouldn't know!

Or if anyone else has any options i'm all ears
and if anyone can recommend decent kit to cut through porcelain tiles that would also be brilliant!

Cheers

fein or bosch multi tool with the correct blade. you can cut a neat square in tile, but it will take quite a while.

m6lPMT5Rlu_GmkQvHfdkGeQ.jpg

The easiest option i can think of is to cut a round hole and installing round plasterboard box. But excuse my ignorance...can you fix square plates onto the round back box? Never installed them so wouldn't know!

All the back boxes used on the the continent are round boxes, and they fit square face plates. Normally, as far as i remember with claw type fixing, gripping the side of the plastic box. It's that or use one of the solutions given above. I'd be charging the customer for any extra time/work involved mind.. Not your fault you weren't informed when the tiler was going to be fitting out the walls!! lol!!

The last time I had this I took a few spare tiles home and cut it there. Went back, removed a tile, fitted box and inserted my pre-cut tile around it. As said, you only need to make two cuts on the tile.

All the back boxes used on the the continent are round boxes, and they fit square face plates. Normally, as far as i remember with claw type fixing, gripping the side of the plastic box. It's that or use one of the solutions given above. I'd be charging the customer for any extra time/work involved mind.. Not your fault you weren't informed when the tiler was going to be fitting out the walls!! lol!!

OK thanks, might go down this avenue. Have to buy a nice pricey holesaw to do the job! and yes they will be expecting to be charged for this! :)

Are you sure they are porcelain tiles and not ceramic. If ceramic then most of the ideas put forward will work. If porcelain you'll need a good diamond tipped drill. personally if porcelain I would get the tiler in to cut it out,do as Kate says in post 3

Are you sure they are porcelain tiles and not ceramic. If ceramic then most of the ideas put forward will work. If porcelain you'll need a good diamond tipped drill. personally if porcelain I would get the tiler in to cut it out,do as Kate says in post 3

Yeah they're porcelain. i have mentioned to them about getting tiler in to make the cuts already but waiting for a reply so just weighing up the other options.

Reply to towel rail and porcelain tiles in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net