Discuss Triton T80GSI Electric Shower With Equiopotential Bonding in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello, I have a customer who is looking to replace their electric shower. There is equipotential bonding connected to the cold feed. I’ve not seen it within an electric shower before.

I was wondering if it has to stay or if it can be removed? The customer is considering changing the model of the shower and there may not be enough room to leave it within the shower like it currently is. Thanks
4eeee573-41d5-4603-9a1d-1290ab14dd7e.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
You really need to read 701.415.2. - if you meet all three conditions it isn’t required.
But too much to summarise!

If keeping it, it can be connected close to the point of entry to the room, it doesn’t have to be within the shower itself.

Last edited:
You really need to read 701.415.2. - if you meet all three conditions it isn’t required.
But too much to summarise!

If keeping it, it can be connected close to the point of entry to the room, it doesn’t have to be within the shower itself

Thanks for the reply, Tim. Most appreciated. I have another question if that’s ok?

I can see that the earth wire from the 6mm cable is connected to the earth clamp. What is the larger earth wire that’s going into the terminal on the electric shower?

Thanks for the reply, Tim. Most appreciated. I have another question if that’s ok?

I can see that the earth wire from the 6mm cable is connected to the earth clamp. What is the larger earth wire that’s going into the terminal on the electric shower?
There's the bond

There's also the supply earth and that connects on to the heater tank of the shower

It looks to me as though here is a good chance the pipe is an extraneous conductive part and will require bonding somewhere near by. It looks as though the CPC of the shower circuit was used to support the bonding.
(I was thinking about omitting supplementary bonding in my original reply as I didn't look at the photo carefully enough.)

It looks to me as though here is a good chance the pipe is an extraneous conductive part and will require bonding somewhere near by. It looks as though the CPC of the shower circuit was used to support the bonding.
(I was thinking about omitting supplementary bonding in my original reply as I didn't look at the photo carefully enough.)
So would you say it is best to leave it all in place when the shower is replaced? Would it benefit the customer to have an electrician look at it?

So would you say it is best to leave it all in place when the shower is replaced? Would it benefit the customer to have an electrician look at it?
It most likely would have been done for a reason.

Leave it there, as without testing, you can't tell if the water supply pipe is bonded or extraneous.

You will always benefit from having a competent electrician look at it.

Work in a special location needs registration under the requirements of part p in the building regulations. I believe this is a moot point as far as discussions go, this is a job for an electrician so the entity of the supporting electrical systems can be assessed for the change of model and / or safety assessed re continuing use and finally worked on legally. Bit like asking questions about which prescription doses you need for an illness , it needs a registered professional to assess, no exceptions.

Reply to Triton T80GSI Electric Shower With Equiopotential Bonding in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net