Discuss TT confusion in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

diditrain

-
Arms
Reaction score
I was asked to find out why some sockets were not working on a temporary board today.I plugged my socket and see in and it came up with a N fault.The install looked rough to me but it is the first time i have been to a TT so i was a bit unsure. The supply neutral was seperate from the service head cut-out. It was basically a Tail block with a single earth connected into it,2.5 mm². No main earth terminal presentWhen i pressed the RCD it would not trip and i was reading a voltage between N-E approx 12 volts.U/U have been out and said that the supply is fine and that it must be something on the consumer side.Does this sound like someone has tried to convert the TT?I disconnected the consumers installation and told the owner of the flood damaged home to contact there supplier. They were non too pleased but i did not want to mess about with it until i looked into it a bit more.Anyone got any advice/guidance that they would like to share.

I am not being funny here but have you knew exactly what you are doing on every job that you have been on.
That is why i disconnected the consumer side as stated in my previous post

Thanks Mr Mark Sparks, if i get sent back to this job that is what i was planning to do.
Is it now 16mm² to the earth rod, or is this just if there is no mechanical protection, just having a look through the regs at the moment?

I am not being funny here but have you knew exactly what you are doing on every job that you have been on.
That is why i disconnected the consumer side as stated in my previous post

No, you are correct there have been plenty of occasions when I have come across situations where I'm not sure how to proceed. But it seems to me in order to carry out electrical installations safely and properly a fundamental requirement is an understanding of the various supply and earthing systems in use.
Look at it from your customers point of view,they have called out an electrician because a few sockets are not working....and end up with no power because he doesnt understand the system.
I'm not having a go at you personally but a regime which actively encourages time served sparks with decades of experience to jack it in , and be replaced with people of insufficient experience to carry out relatively simple jobs makes me despair.

Look at it from your customers point of view,they have called out an electrician because a few sockets are not working....and end up with no power because he doesnt understand the system.
I'm not having a go at you personally but a regime which actively encourages time served sparks with decades of experience to jack it in , and be replaced with people of insufficient experience to carry out relatively simple jobs makes me despair.

I agree with these comments, the training certainly isn't what it used to be

Reply to TT confusion in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net