Discuss Tv and aerial question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

bobbyjoe

DIY
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am new to the forum and wanting some advice regarding a tv aerial. I moved into my own flat and bought a tv, however when I connected the tv and it was scanning for BBC and live programmes etc the screen kept stating no signal but because I have broadband, I was able to connect to Youtube etc.

I have attached some photos as I may have been putting in an aerial which no longer functions as the previous owner had Virgin set up whereas I just have normal broadband with no tv package.

The first two pictures are of an aerial box (sorry don't know the technical name of it) on the floor near the window and the cable runs out to the wall, and I believe to the outside wall where other communal cables gather which may be my neighbours.

The second set of pictures are of an aerial which I was previously connecting it to with no luck and I am assuming it doesn't work or it was set up for Virgin.

I would be very grateful for any advice as I am not sure if I should buy an aerial and connect it to the aerial box on the floor or what else can I do as it's the first time I have bought a tv and don't have a clue.

Thank you and hope to get some advice soon.

Pictures of query regarding tv aerial. The tv aerial on the last two pictures was the one I tried, I tried the tv with and without the 3 way splitter but still no luck.

Attachments

• IMG_20221018_181341_079.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20221018_181352_571.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20221018_181404_952.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20221018_181415_445.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20221018_181422_547.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 19
Did you try the aerial cable to tv in the other socket? the one with the broken plug in it?

Looks like it has been used in the past, and the cable has come away from the plug, rather than the plug coming out the socket.

Did you try the aerial cable to tv in the other socket? the one with the broken plug in it?

Looks like it has been used in the past, and the cable has come away from the plug, rather than the plug coming out the socket.
Thanks for the reply I tried both aerials which are on the floor and know that the previous owner used that aerial which is on the floor with the splitter on it but when I tried both of them it didn't work.
I haven't tried the white box outlet as the aerial type doesn't fit where it says TV as I think I need a Coaxial aerial for it.

That one with the plug in it seems to be labelled for FM radio.
Might be worth buying a signal checker to see if there is "council TV" feed, and if so the TV, assuming it is smart, should connect with no problem. Having said that, if the TV is smart with a built-in tuner for freeview, it should tune in fine, provided the correct source is selected on the TV remote.

Labelled for FM radio, but no difference to the socket.

Im just thinking the cable from the aerial may have been connected to the radio socket, not the tv..... Considoring the radio socket has been used.

What area of UK are you in? Someone in the forum may be close for the cost of a pint.

Thank you for the replies and it is a smart Tv with freeview but when I pressed TV on the remote it said no channels detected.
The building is council owned with some private owners and others social, only 6 in a block.
I will try the ariel on the socket with radio, tv etc on it. If I need to by an aerial cable, then is it the male to male or female to female and what is the difference between them thank you.

If you look at the box as it is now, the TV socket has a pin in the centre, so is a male.
You may find the other socket has a central pin with a hole... being the female.

The other two sockets marked sat1 and 2 are known as F-Type... and that looks like what is used on your 3 way splitter.

The socket on the TV itself will be female.... so you may need a male to male lead.... Is the one youve got male to female?

You do have that broken plug stuck in the FM socket if you need one.

You can get the cable to stick in a socket without the plug fitted on the end, just as a makeshift temporary solution to test, but you would need tools, such as a knife and pliers. Might be enough to get the tv to tune in.

Can the TV work in any other room without an aerial? Sometimes there can be a strong enough signal if you're high up.

I'd first establish if there is likely to be an incoming TV signal e.g. from a communal aerial - for example do any others in the block receive signals this way, rather than from Sky or Virgin? If nobody is using these signals, it is quite possible it is no longer working, e.g. left over from the old analog TV days, or just left switched off, etc.

Is this aerial any good?​

Online TV Aerial Coaxial Male to Male Cable- Satellite Cable RF TV Antenna Lead With Female Coupler Gold Plated Connector Compatible With – TV VCR DVD – 3m Black​

Is this aerial any good?​

Online TV Aerial Coaxial Male to Male Cable- Satellite Cable RF TV Antenna Lead With Female Coupler Gold Plated Connector Compatible With – TV VCR DVD – 3m Black​

Not sure what you are trying to link to but the female coupler will go into the wall socket and the male to male lead will then connect the coupler in the wall socket to the TV

Oh no I think I might have ordered the wrong aerial then because I want the aerial to go into the back of the tv then into the FM, SAT, TV coaxial outlet tv Aerial connector.
Could you let me know if I need the aerial suggested by UNG or the one, I ordered as I may be able to cancel it, thank you.

The first photo is of the coaxial tv outlet and then the second photos are of the back of the tv. I want to connect the aerial to the Ant 1 aerial part on the tv.
Any advice would be great as the aerial I have at present which comes down from the ceiling connects to Ant 2 on TV but picks up no signal at all.
Which aerial would I need to connect from the coaxial outlet and then into the TV ANT 1 outlet thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_20221019_102447_873.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20221019_102348_221.jpg
    699.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20221019_102418_595.jpg
    716.7 KB · Views: 7
Oh no I think I might have ordered the wrong aerial then because I want the aerial to go into the back of the tv then into the FM, SAT, TV coaxial outlet tv Aerial connector.
Could you let me know if I need the aerial suggested by UNG or the one, I ordered as I may be able to cancel it, thank you.
The lead you have ordered will fit as it comes with a female coupler to adapt it to fit the TV outlet

Thank you so much, once the aerial arrives, I will update you on the progress and fingers crossed it works because I have never used the 4-outlet coaxial but am assuming it works as the cable runs out of the flat and I don't think it would be cut off.
Any wish me luck and thank you all again 😀

Reply to Tv and aerial question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net