Discuss UFH T&E Cable Melting / Heat Damage in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

If the cable runs to a switch fuse on the wall of the garage, an is all surface as the photo. Wouldn't take an electrician more than an hour to replace for you.

Being in London though, you could be looking at a little bit higher cost involved, especially if there's no parking nearby, congestion zones etc etc...

You would have thought he'd have put a heatshield over the cables. And yes, he would have noticed the damage and not said anything - very disappointing. I'd show him the damage to be honest - you should at least ask for your first boiler service to be done FOC.

Sorry mate. I must have missed your post or I wouldn't have posted a similar post.
I gave you a 'love' rating, hoping for forgiveness..

Out of curiosity, is replacing the cable myself in breach of any regulations? Looks pretty straight forward.

Why are you offering to replace it mate?
If a car smashes into your car would you offer to fix your own car or get the person who caused the damage to pay for it?

I personally think this is a job which could be done by a competent DIYer, but others may disagree. See what opinions you get.
It's more the legalities i'm thinking about. I'd be rubbish in jail.
Why are you offering to replace it mate?
If a car smashes into your car would you offer to fix your own car or get the person who caused the damage to pay for it?
You're right of course but is it worth the hassle? He could argue it wasn't him. I don't want to fall out with him over a piece of damaged cable and risk future avoidance if i have a problem with the boiler. I know that's quite a defeatist attitude but i'm old enough end ugly enough to know which battles to pick.

I'd find a new plumber; if he's daft enough to do it in the first place, and unprofessional enough not to appraise you of his blunder, then I wouldn't be having him work at my property again.

We're all human and can make mistakes, but honesty should come first. That wouldn't of cost him a few pounds, or a favour with the sparks he must know, to put right.

It's more the legalities i'm thinking about. I'd be rubbish in jail.

You're right of course but is it worth the hassle? He could argue it wasn't him. I don't want to fall out with him over a piece of damaged cable and risk future avoidance if i have a problem with the boiler. I know that's quite a defeatist attitude but i'm old enough end ugly enough to know which battles to pick.
Any decent tradesman wouldn’t have done it in the first place and if by mistake would certainly rectify it for free......I wouldn’t want him back if he doesn’t

Reply to UFH T&E Cable Melting / Heat Damage in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net