Discuss underfloor electric heating as an afterthought without dedicated wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I'd really like to install underfloor, electric radiant heating in my bathroom. The space to cover is very small, probably 25-30 sq ft. once the tub and vanity are factored in. Not having planned for this, we don't have a dedicated breaker for it.

Current set up: we have two junction boxes, daisy chained together, running off a 20A breaker. The first junction box is housing a standard outlet by the vanity to power electric toothbrushes, razors, hairdryers, etc. This is connected to a second junction box, floor level, by the toilet. The intentions for this second box were to power a bidet. If necessary, I can dedicate this solely to the radiant heating instead. The product I am looking at is Schluter Ditra and requires 15A.

Am I asking too much off a single breaker? If it is, is there anything I can do or am I out of luck?

TIA

I'd really like to install underfloor, electric radiant heating in my bathroom. The space to cover is very small, probably 25-30 sq ft. once the tub and vanity are factored in. Not having planned for this, we don't have a dedicated breaker for it.

Current set up: we have two junction boxes, daisy chained together, running off a 20A breaker. The first junction box is housing a standard outlet by the vanity to power electric toothbrushes, razors, hairdryers, etc. This is connected to a second junction box, floor level, by the toilet. The intentions for this second box were to power a bidet. If necessary, I can dedicate this solely to the radiant heating instead. The product I am looking at is Schluter Ditra and requires 15A.

Am I asking too much off a single breaker? If it is, is there anything I can do or am I out of luck?

TIA
I guess that you could use the junction box beside the toilet since it’s probably GFCI protected. As far as over loading that particular circuit, it won’t be pulling a load unless you plug something in. The biggest problem I see is the hair dryer and the heat on could be on at the same time could trip the breaker.

Reply to underfloor electric heating as an afterthought without dedicated wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net