Discuss Using CPC as live conductor.... ok i know, but... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I am trainee and do own BS7671, if you read my post it does say that the NIC make it up as they see fit. I mentioned it only as i remember reading about it a while back.

Simonslimline and uksparks feel to buy a copy of this book and read it sometime rather than listen to the NIC or any other CPS.

View attachment 23389

- - - Updated - - -

I read in the beano you can fall along way off a high cliff and walk away unhurt, does it make it true?

as long as the fan was classII and there was no alternative, i might be tempted.

I am trainee and do own BS7671, if you read my post it does say that the NIC make it up as they see fit. I mentioned it only as i remember reading about it a while back.

Well then you need to read it, threads like this will help you understand it more. Only say something you have read by providing a link to it to prove your point.

I remember a story going round a while back (90s) about a plumber who cut into an existing boiler wiring flex that had cpc as live - can't remember details but he connected the cpc to earth term somewhere in his jb and result was fatal shock for homeowner off the kitchen sink.

yep fair enough, i cant find the article link but found this on a forum page......

Screenshot 2014-03-03 13.05.32.png

Well then you need to read it, threads like this will help you understand it more. Only say something you have read by providing a link to it to prove your point.

Last edited:
I remember a story going round a while back (90s) about a plumber who cut into an existing boiler wiring flex that had cpc as live - can't remember details but he connected the cpc to earth term somewhere in his jb and result was fatal shock for homeowner off the kitchen sink.

i can only see that happening if there was no earthing on the installation.

Bear in mind he would have used this 'earth' terminal to earth whatever he was installing (new boiler/whatever) making it live and anything metallically connected to it (eg copper pipes to sink)

As I say I don't remember details but there could have been other factors contributing.

then if the installation was earthed, the OCPD would have operated as soon as he'd connected it to a line conductor.

Reply to Using CPC as live conductor.... ok i know, but... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net