Discuss Varilight Dimmer max loading in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Right, the lamps ive chosen have a running current of 65mA, start up is 10 times the running current so thats 650mA or 0.65 A, times this by 24 equals 15.6a inrush. Convert this to watts equals 3588w. So this means I need a dimmer that is rated to at least 3588w (4Kw) to withstand the inrush ! Thats correct isnt it ?

What about a current limiting load in series with all the LEDs? Our typical 3kW immmersion heater element will limit the inrush to 13A peak and only drop 10V - 20V when the lamps are all running. My contribution to Halloween and Guy Fawkes Night :D .

Last edited:
I notice you rated my comment as optimistic....Do you think one of these will do the job?https://www.downlights.co.uk/media/mconnect_uploadfiles/v/-/v-com-dimmer-instructions.pdf like someone has mentioned above.

I gave you an optimistic because its not your thread - this one, and the previous lack detail and seem to lack considered response.

I would be starting with OEM's that make LED dimmers - and not via wholesalers - by contacting them directly .......... with as many known facts as possible and asking for their input

AND warning the customer that this may not be as easy as end users often think ......

As for the V-Pro - no idea mate ........... best ask them.......... but I don't like them

I notice you rated my comment as optimistic....Do you think one of these will do the job?https://www.downlights.co.uk/media/mconnect_uploadfiles/v/-/v-com-dimmer-instructions.pdf like someone has mentioned above.

The link there does state for a 400w dimmer the max number of led's is 40, but it dont state a wattage ! Supposing it means 40 x 10w, thats bang on max loading which I would not like. Also consider the reply from varilight (as someone posted earlier) to use only 75% of the dimmers load, and also consider the good practice rule of thumb of using only 10% of the dimmers capacity (as shown in my earlier post); it does make you wonder if anyone really knows (including Varilight) what they're talking about,.

I gave you an optimistic because its not your thread - this one, and the previous lack detail and seem to lack considered response.

I would be starting with OEM's that make LED dimmers - and not via wholesalers - by contacting them directly .......... with as many known facts as possible and asking for their input

Dont know how you come to a conclusion that my
AND warning the customer that this may not be as easy as end users often think ......

As for the V-Pro - no idea mate ........... best ask them.......... but I don't like them

Not sure how you assume my two posts lack considered response and lack detail. The OP questions are what they are, the threads end up going round the houses cause people chime in with response that veers off the path, !

Last edited:

Reply to Varilight Dimmer max loading in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net