Discuss Was this standard practise??? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

Carlos Arruda

20150418_104206.jpg

Was this standard practice back then? (1979).

A 30A rewirable fuse for two ring mains?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ckb0ikxntr5prkv/20150418_104206.jpg?dl=0https://www.dropbox.com/s/ckb0ikxntr5prkv/20150418_104206.jpg?dl=0

Last edited by a moderator:
nope. looks like additions were made. a bigger CU should have been fitted. very bad practice, IMO.

Albert
Not that anyone minds you asking questions, far from it, it's great to see someone taking an interest in things, why don't you ask the Mods for permission to gain access to the trainee forum, if you haven't already.
Can't wait for your next post, honestly a refreshing change, good luck in your chosen career.

Hum.... are you a level 3? Strikes me your mentor/trainers have seriously let you down.

And yes this is VERY normal and who says its 2 rings? It could be 4 radials. What testing have you done?

Seems to be other doubling up going on as well.

Are they really 2 rings or a ring and a couple of spurs/radials chucked in?

From what I have seen, there's the following (left to right fuse & ratings)

1 = 5A (circuits not yet identified. initially thought to be lighting circuit for either g.floor or 1st floor but it has been proven that fuse N#2 is serving both.

2 = 5A for g/floor and 1st floor

3 = 15A (Immersion heater. 3.0Kw)

4 = 30A (ring main g/floor and 1st floor, old electrical shower has been taken from ring, no signs of fused spur.)

5 = 30A (2 radial + 1 serving the garage attached to the house, will change this to at least 6mm. one radial is serving at least one socket where fax is connected and a heat towel rail in bathroom)

6 = 30A (cooker, I do not know the cooker rating and the other is serving a fluorescent light on an external garage about 6 meters away. It seems cable has been berried on the ground.)

This belongs to a very nice gentleman (I've known him for over 10 years now, who's kind enough to let me get this up to today's standards, under the supervision, of one of my too generous college tutors. He will then certify installation.

It's a learning curve and I'm confident I can do it.

There's no pressure as I am not on a deadline. My tutor is yet to determine the go ahead provided all is safe to do so.

My initial suggestions were to change the 2.5mm cable serving garage attached to the house by at least a 6mm T&E clip direct on a 32A MCB RCD protected (about 5 meters run from main C.U. This would connect to garage dual pole isolating switch, thus avoiding the two RCDs in series issues. Yes the garage is also to be swapped by an RCD protected C.U.

Another initial suggestion was to replace the 2.5mm that serves the external garage by an SWA cable. If not, maybe due to costs, then I would have it on an RCD protected side under a 6A MCB.

So far, I have worked out that we need at least a 12 way split load consumer unit.

This will all be part of my practical assessment but more needs to be dug out as to completely understand what has been done here.

This is on a TN-C-S system.

Any opinions and/or positive constructive criticism is truly welcomed.

Regards,
Albert

which 2.

What are you doing with this CU.

Seriously mate - get yourself in the trainee section

Will do Murdoch.

Many thanks for the pointer.

Much appreciated.

P.S. Say cables were numbered 1 to 4. I only have continuity between only two cables. Say cable 1&3 and 2&4 have continuity. No continuity between cables 1&2, 1&4 or cables 3&2 or 3&4.

Last edited by a moderator:
Matey. Don't install dual boards. Install Hi-integrity.

AND I don't agree with somebody else testing and signing off your work, Its NOT the way to set out!

definitely go with the SWA to the external garage. feed from a non-RCD way in the CU and fit your RCD protection in the garage, cost factors permitting.

Matey. Don't install dual boards. Install Hi-integrity.

AND I don't agree with somebody else testing and signing off your work, Its NOT the way to set out!
but if his tutor is supervising the whole job, why not? carlos could sign for the install, and the tutor sign as QS.

from his previous posts, it seems just a general thirst for knowledge. tutors can sometimes be wrong and a second opinion or 6 is worth having. unlike tutors, the forum is on call 24/7. lol.

from his previous posts, it seems just a general thirst for knowledge. tutors can sometimes be wrong and a second opinion or 6 is worth having. unlike tutors, the forum is on call 24/7. lol.

Telectricx,

You are bang on the money.

Many thanks.

I have asked the admin for access to the trainee forum as recommended.

Regards,
Albert

Reply to Was this standard practise??? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net