Discuss What can I do with just the 17th Edition? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Having passed the 17th Edition course, what can I actually do with the qualification?

Can I work for an electrical install company as an installer or do I need to take more exams for this to be possible?

Are there just jobs out there that are for installers or wiremen to go in and do the install in venues and locations?

Any advice would be really useful and constructive.

Gav

Having just passed the 17th edition, doesn't make you competent, it just means you passed an exam on paper. To be able to competently install, test, maintain etc potentially dangerous electrical systems then it is generally agreed across industry that you must have vocational training incorporating hands on experience and the best way is to complete an apprenticeship or adult apprenticeship.
There are a number of unscrupulous training providers out there, that will promise you a career as a fully qualified electrician in next to no time!!! Don't be fooled into giving away hard earned cash or redundancy monies to these rogues!!! Enroll at your local technical college and the JIB/SJIB apprentice training programmes and write to legitimate electrical companies registered with the ECA/SELECT for employment as an apprentice/adult apprentice.
Any other route is completely up to you but this is the best and proven way to become a fully qualified electrician that will be recognized industry wide.

Having passed the 17th Edition course, what can I actually do with the qualification?

Can I work for an electrical install company as an installer or do I need to take more exams for this to be possible?

Are there just jobs out there that are for installers or wiremen to go in and do the install in venues and locations?

Any advice would be really useful and constructive.

Gav
With all due respect mate the 2382 cert is no where near enough to bi installing with. As it stands now most part p providers will let you onto there schemes with it (as long as you sit the 2391 within a year)......This setup however is going as from january the rules change regarding competency for these schemes. From january onwards you will have to hold a recognised level 3 qual....such as the 2330 (soon to be replaced with the 2357)...This isn`t just proposal....its policy and will be statutary from jan onwards. You really need to hold more certs than the 2382 to be in with a shout with an employer at the mo. Think about it.....a lot of firms have gone out mate and consequently there are a lot of highly skilled guys out there in the job market with experience in installing...inspecting (PIRs)...and testing.....better go to college if i were you and ride this out whilst getting properly qualified ready for better times...............:smartass:

Reply to What can I do with just the 17th Edition? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net