Discuss What can I expect to earn once I'm qualified? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I'd assume on the cards at that shocking rate?

Only rates I know of in Belfast are £14-£21 an hour Self Employed and some others on JIB rate on the cards.

Not heard of anything so low a long time...I pay my helper more than that.
Yeah ok the cards with a well known company from the lisburn road and another I was working with from mallusk it is shocking

I'd assume on the cards at that shocking rate?

Only rates I know of in Belfast are £14-£21 an hour Self Employed and some others on JIB rate on the cards.

Not heard of anything so low a long time...I pay my helper more than that.
Yeah ok the cards with a well known company from the lisburn road and another I was working with from mallusk it is shocking

I bet you lads are looking forward to this border carry-on...where you can work "abroad"...and be back in time for tea ;)

To be fair I worked for a firm for 3 months on the cards, he was paying newly qualified sparks £10 an hour until they ‘proved themselves’
Didn’t want to work for someone like that for too long so did the job and then jacked!
Down to the individual I guess. You know what you’re worth. The younger or inexperienced are easier to take advantage of.

To be fair I worked for a firm for 3 months on the cards, he was paying newly qualified sparks £10 an hour until they ‘proved themselves’
Didn’t want to work for someone like that for too long so did the job and then jacked!
Down to the individual I guess. You know what you’re worth. The younger or inexperienced are easier to take advantage of.
Sounds like the sort of guy were you could be proving yourself for about 20 years

Scandalous...my paper-boy gets a fiver for the half an hour he does,every morning,that's £10/Ph...

...and yet the lad that turned up,from one of our illustrious power companies,to fit an E10 meter,couldn't understand how to adapt the 4 pole isolator,to enable a single point of isolation,across the standard and RHT outputs :)

He will be on minimum £28,000 pa.

He got the concept,after some explaining and a drawing,but back-healed the job,and a techspec dude came to do it,a week later :rolleyes:

There is no reason why you cannot save the money you want,
if and I mean if, you are willing to do the hard yards to earn it !
Are you prepared to go above and beyond,
work long and odd hours ?
Do the little and sometimes shitty little jobs others don't want ?
Anyway you get my drift !

IMO,it all depends on how well you do, what you can turn out at the end of the day,when I was a subby in the mid 80's I was on £100 a day. (house bashing)I was worth every penny.

I know a guy pays tenner an hour in the hand for a helper to do clearance & removals, could be out 5 hours, do half an hours work, get a fry bought for him and home with £50 and sparks on the cards not getting much more than that before the taxman takes his whack.
I was asked to subby in on a job earlier in the year, though was busy, but think it was £17 an hour.
Normally seems to be about £12.50 ph labour-only subby. Across the border it's more like €25 ph labour-only subby. Of course this is below the Registered Emplyment Agreement which used to be in force.

Reply to What can I expect to earn once I'm qualified? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net