Discuss What dimmers you using for LEDs lamps... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

sythai

-
Arms
Reaction score
Morning All

Got little bit situation going on, causing multiple visits (luckily only 2 mins drive from where we are.)

Client not 100% happy with whatever dimmer set up we have tried to use, either:
not bright enough / doesn't go low enough / slight flicker / few secs delay when turning !

We've tried the usual dimmer modules we use : Click, Zano, Aurora (DSP400x) ... now we're on to a Varilight Vpro, which client has asked us to fit
We're dimming 3 x E27 lamps, tried Megaman lamps to start... now we're on to a Dar lamps, which client has asked us to fit

Never had someone this 'fussy' before with dimming in last 12 years 😫

Question is when dimming E27 lamps what lamps+dimmer combo do you find work seamlessly ??
And has easy set up on dimmer (unlike a V-Pro 😵‍💫)

Thanks Sy
IMG_1393.JPG

Last edited:
Unfortunately dimming an LED lamp by modifying the AC mains being fed to it will never achieve perfect results.
Dimmable LED lamps are a work-around to make them work(ish) with traditional dimming methods. They have a driver circuit in the lamp which takes the chopped up mains and makes it's best guess as to what level of light output is required, but at the same time those electronics are getting their power from that same chopped up mains. And as we all know electronics work best when they have a nice stable, clean power supply.
Plus those electronics are squashed into a small space that was originally intended to be an enclosure for a very hot bit of wire.

To get good dimming of an LED light source the best option is something which takes a permanent supply and a seperate control signal, such a 1-10v, DALI, DMX etc.

For your situation the best option might be an LED lamp which takes a permanent feed and a wireless dimming signal.

I have used the Varilight Vpro and they are one of the better options, but as @davesparks says it is also dependent on the LED lamp's driver electronics and none of them are really that stable/controllable in the manner of the old tungsten lamps (nor do they go nice and warm colours as dimmed).

As above the VPro is one of the better ones and normally where I start.

Another option (much as I hate to admit it) is consider smart bulbs where the dimming aspect is part of the bulb design. I mention it because if they are 'that fussy' it might help them to believe they have absolute control!
I've had one similar customer and in the end I stuck a load of Philips Hue stuff in. It broke almost all of my personal preferences (no hard wired simple control, battery powered dimmer switch, relies on Wifi, expensive bulbs etc) but the customer loved it.

I have used the Varilight Vpro and they are one of the better options, but as @davesparks says it is also dependent on the LED lamp's driver electronics and none of them are really that stable/controllable in the manner of the old tungsten lamps (nor do they go nice and warm colours as dimmed).
You might be interested I discovered just a few years ago that Philips make LED GU10 spots and bulbs called "Warm glow" which mimic the tungsten gradual change to a more orange colour as they dim. Like you I missed that warmer effect, but discovered these bulbs, and they have been very effective in an open plan lounge/diner/kitchen, creating a much better atmosphere for the room when dimmed.

https://energenie4u.co.uk/res/pdfs/light-compatibility-chart-web.pdf

https://auroralighting.com/downloadsdoc/gb/dimming_compatibility.pdf

https://www.varilight.co.uk/leaflets/compatibility.pdf

It might help you to look at the Brand A LED lamp to Brand B dimmer combo or vice versa compatibility charts.

I have provided three examples above.

Just google the combo and finish the search term with '....compatibility uk'.

PS: Our home is Varilight pro with SAXBY dimmable LED GU10 lamps.

PS2: Some customers might need educating that some clever dimmers have delayed on and delayed change functionality to safeguard the lamp and the dimmer.

Last edited:
Thanks Chaps..... do appreciate all your advice as usual 🤩🤩

Think we've finally got there 'after visit 5'! 🤞

Sticking with the V-Pro, chatted too varilight technical (very helpful btw) and went through how to change the delayed start up.
Was taking about 5 secs to come on original, now we're down to couple secs which customer is ok with.

Have a good weekend - Sy

Reply to What dimmers you using for LEDs lamps... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net