Discuss What have I done wrong? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

MarkS1963

DIY
Reaction score
I've recently had a ceiling replastered, and rather than wait for the electric to be turned off, the plasterer yank the light fitting off the cables. Now I've come to try and wire a strip light up, I can light it up, but it's on permanently. Anyone tell me what I've connected up wrongly? Don't want to pay a call out fee for what might be an easy fixIMG_20220316_184147.jpg

There is a lot wrong with that

1 it needs to be in an enclosure, it is not acceptable for connections to be loose in a void or anywhere else for that matter

2 the earth (cpc) is not connected to the light fitting, this leads to a danger of death if the fitting develops a fault and you are unlucky enough to touch it.

As above it is not safe. The two core red cable is the line and switch return and is not connected correctly. You need an electrician so rectify it.

Just a thought, could it have been almost bodged up by the previous owner? Reason I ask, so many jobs I've done since I've moved in have been rectifying previous jobs, not just electrics, that haven't been done correctly

If those block connectors were there before then yes there is other things which may be dangerous.

It is the light in the garage, and it was just a light bulb attached to a standard ceing rose. The bungalow is around 30 years old. The plasterer took the bulb out, unscrewed the rose, and literally yanked the wires out. So when I went in the garage loft, the old style junction boxes were there, which was why I was hoping I could simply connect a strip light to them.

What you have done is inappropriate and dangerous you need to get an electrician involved.

Reply to What have I done wrong? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net