Discuss what size breaker in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

kenny james

installing an outside double socket for general use eg. lawnmower,xmas lights. will be wired in t&e as a radial circuit straight to main board to spareway what size breaker would be recommended 20amp or 32amp? thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
depends on many factors matey. size of cable, length of run, installation methods. youll have to carry out cable calc. Also work is notifiable to your local building control. Best advise is to get a local sparks to do it.

John boy is right, Kenny, call an electrician, if you are asking this type of question then you shouldn't be carrying out this work.

on level 2, 2nd year now, company i worked for went bust on my first year, all knowledge i gain is on my own back now.

That's commendable but you must still be 'deemed competent' to carry out the work, you need knowledge of IP codes, rcd protection, current carrying capacity for selection of cables and devices, inspection & testing etc etc.

Also, this work will need to be notified to the local authority building control under document P

ok mate. do you have your on site guide? if you do then on page 46 and 47 it will tell you what size cable to use with your MCB, and the maximum length. Also read through the rest of that chapter, to see if it will need RCD/RCBO protection or not. you will learn something, and find your answer.

But, even knowing this, you still cannot install your socket, as you will need to notify it to building control.

Last edited:
on level 2, 2nd year now, company i worked for went bust on my first year, all knowledge i gain is on my own back now.

At least get yourself BS7671 and the On Site Guide.

I don't normally like helping people who may be taking a qualified person work, but everyone as to learn some where and years ago when I was younger there was no internet.

How long is the run and how are you installing the cable?

Going to need RCD protection for fault protection.

Reply to what size breaker in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net