Discuss What the lad did at college today. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dave OCD

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
My son [and apprentice] was on practical at College today and last Monday and wanted me to post these pictures as he was quite proud of his efforts. I gave him some praise and a little bit of constructive criticism too. :smile: Not at all bad for a 16 year old though. :smile:

IMG_0255.jpgIMG_0256.jpg

Hi Dave you should be proud of him. What did you pull him up on ?

Only on the clipping of the T&E mate, the bends aren't quite flat and I like to see the clips facing in towards each other where there are two cables, some may argue better to have space between though. :smiley2: Minor details I know but I'm setting him high standards, can't fault the bit of PVC conduit though.

Only on the clipping of the T&E mate, the bends aren't quite flat and I like to see the clips facing in towards each other where there are two cables, some may argue better to have space between though. :smiley2: Minor details I know but I'm setting him high standards, can't fault the bit of PVC conduit though.

Ha, exactly what drew my eye too.
Tell the lad he is off to a great start and to nurture the obvious pride in his work he is showing already.

Very good .O yes brings back memory's trying to fix things in those cubicals using warn out slotted screws with a cheep college screw driver , think those back boxes have seen some action :)

Nice to see high quality standards, at least he knows where he stands.

Yes this i what i noticed. A very good effort though all the same.

Some of the practical work done by classmates at my college was questionable to say the least. It is all practice at the end of the day. :smile:

Ahhg, you know the surface cabling could be neater clipped but that will come with a bit of practice but that conduit is neater than most 'professionals'. I'd suggest a beer might be in order rather than too much criticism. :)

Very good .O yes brings back memory's trying to fix things in those cubicals using warn out slotted screws with a cheep college screw driver , think those back boxes have seen some action :)

Slotted screws ! So much trickier than all the Pozidrive we use now, I remember having a Stanley 'Yankee' screwdriver, bloody lethal thing really. :laugh3: Yeah those boxes have been round the block a few times for sure. :smiley2:

Ahhg, you know the surface cabling could be neater clipped but that will come with a bit of practice but that conduit is neater than most 'professionals'. I'd suggest a beer might be in order rather than too much criticism. :)

The criticism was very light hearted tbh, proud of him really. :smiley2:

top job for an apprentice, good lad. As he is so young does he ask to go to toilet? Our young one does Cracks me right up. ''Will can i got to toilet?'' I stand sniggering..... NO!. I swear he thinks were being serious and not winding him up:grin::grin:

top job for an apprentice, good lad. As he is so young does he ask to go to toilet? Our young one does Cracks me right up. ''Will can i got to toilet?'' I stand sniggering..... NO!. I swear he thinks were being serious and not winding him up:grin::grin:

No Will, inevitably when I'm shouting to him for something when up to my ears in fibreglass in a loft he'll be in the bog having a pony & trap. :lol:

No Will, inevitably when I'm shouting to him for something when up to my ears in fibreglass in a loft he'll be in the bog having a pony & trap. :lol:

I thought apprentices were created to avoid the 'master' getting in the loft or dirty mud filled holes? I remember when a new apprentice joined the team i would smile as i moved further up the layer cake away from fiberglass/sockets. I used to laugh when we were doing alterations i would play the dummy so my boss would get in the loft- he hated it and used come down ringing wet covered in fibreglass calling me stupid.

I thought apprentices were created to avoid the 'master' getting in the loft or dirty mud filled holes? I remember when a new apprentice joined the team i would smile as i moved further up the layer cake away from fiberglass/sockets. I used to laugh when we were doing alterations i would play the dummy so my boss would get in the loft- he hated it and used come down ringing wet covered in fibreglass calling me stupid.

Oh he's getting sent up there quite a bit, I'm still a bit worried about him putting his boot through the ceiling though.:smile: But often I'm up there to do a JB or something else he's not ready for yet. Nothing worse than having to crawl through a loft with loads of insulation on a boiling hot day!

Reply to What the lad did at college today. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net