Discuss Where can I find 3mm thick steel capping in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

Got a job where I need to run cables round outside of building under 50mm of lime render, need to put it in capping.

Where can I get 3mm steel capping? Any ideas as im struggling to find it.

I can't find any either but since it's going to be rendered why not use a wall chaser to cut the bricks out and use flat steel plate of the required thickness.

Or just run it in conduit!

3mm thick is some heavy duty stuff it would weigh a bit too never mind costing yer some serious pennies...:crowngrin:

3mm thick is some heavy duty stuff it would weigh a bit too never mind costing yer some serious pennies...:crowngrin:

Yep, and they might also have some issues with the lime reacting with the steel, too (maybe). Use the right tool for the job and don't reinvent the wheel!!!!!

The last company I worked for kept 1/8" steel plate in stock for these jobs, it came from the same company who fabricated/supplied all of our RSJs.

I think for your job steel conduit would be easiest and cheapest to do the job, unless you want to dick about with packing a steel plate off the wall then sealing the edges and painting it to stop it rusting etc

How the hell am I supposed to get a 10mm cable through steel conduit?

I need to run a ring circuit, lights, and 10mm for induction hob and cooker.

Ill take some photos when I go back and then you may have alternative solutions.

up into the attic, across and down. whatever, there's always an alternative. take some pics.and explain the layout.

How the hell am I supposed to get a 10mm cable through steel conduit?

I need to run a ring circuit, lights, and 10mm for induction hob and cooker.

Ill take some photos when I go back and then you may have alternative solutions.

By using the right sized conduit for the job! You'll only need an L and N as the conduit will make a good CPC, if you can't get them two down 25mm steel you are definately doing it wrong!

Hi,

Got a job where I need to run cables round outside of building under 50mm of lime render, need to put it in capping.

Where can I get 3mm steel capping? Any ideas as im struggling to find it.
Whatyutalkingbout, why not just double or triple cap, a bundle of capping costs next to nothing just add as many bits as you want on top until it is as thick as you want it, or as thick as you even :devilish:

Whatyutalkingbout, why not just double or triple cap, a bundle of capping costs next to nothing just add as many bits as you want on top until it is as thick as you want it, or as thick as you even :devilish:

I did wonder that,but is that acceptable?

its that listed building thats just been bodged and all lime rendered and no access apart from going outside as thats not been rendered yet you see, ill take some photos when I go next, i am meant to be starting on monday.

It's funny you should say that. I found myself in the wholesalers in Cirencester a couple of days ago and ended up talking about how different regions do different things (after I had them scratching their heads when I asked for some Piranha nuts for SWA) - they said all you Gloucester boys use metal capping and the Ciren/Swindon ones use plastic. They said it was for mechanical protection, I said I had a Paslode that would prove them very wrong!

I did wonder that,but is that acceptable?

its that listed building thats just been bodged and all lime rendered and no access apart from going outside as thats not been rendered yet you see, ill take some photos when I go next, i am meant to be starting on monday.
?why wouldn't it be

By using the right sized conduit for the job! You'll only need an L and N as the conduit will make a good CPC, if you can't get them two down 25mm steel you are definately doing it wrong!
seruously you can't get a 10mm through conduit?

why not save time and money and just cleat swa to wall (chased in)

Strange enough 10mm twin is 4.69 a m on tlc but swa is 3.24 (2 core)

Or 4.63 for 3 core.

Honestly use swa it will be cheaper and for an outside job it is better

seruously you can't get a 10mm through conduit?

why not save time and money and just cleat swa to wall (chased in)

Strange enough 10mm twin is 4.69 a m on tlc but swa is 3.24 (2 core)

Or 4.63 for 3 core.

Honestly use swa it will be cheaper and for an outside job it is better

For an apprentice, you're doing alright fella!

Reply to Where can I find 3mm thick steel capping in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net