Discuss where to start on quoting in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

leekemp85

I have only recently gone self employed, and lucky have been doing well with loads of small local jobs
but I have been asked to quote on a larger job in Manchester (I live in derby) installing a fire alarm system to a 5 story office block. I am going on Friday to look at the job and get an idea of whats involved but I have not got a clue how to price for a job like this . I have been working domestic and just charging a day rate
I am comptente at installing fire alarms but I cant afford to lose money as I have only been a sole trader for 3 months.

allway include the fact that it never goes right on a big job always be ware of time scales and know who you are working with the wrong team could add days onto the job

Please remember that there is a lot of certification/paperwork/insurances etc involved with fire alarms for obvious reasons. Wouldn't want you to get hung drawn and quatered if the place was to burn down due to a faulty system. ;)

Take lots of notes, break the requirements down into as many separate/smaller parts as possible and price each up individually. Add them all to an Excel spreadsheet including days/hours and materials/mark-up. As mentioned elsewhere, add time for certification, additional insurances (ask if there are any special requirements for this) and the inevitable delays when you can't access somewhere or when someone cocks-up your own work.

Doing a large job is fundamentally no different to a small one except that it's a collection of smaller tasks wrapped up in a single delivery.

Try and find out during the visit if there is a budget (usually you're not told....don't ask directly and it may emerge), try to find any similar jobs which may be priced (Electrician Prices - Estimates of the cost of electrical jobs) and finally add a summary list of the work to this thread and see if anyone will give a rough estimate for you.

Please remember that there is a lot of certification/paperwork/insurances etc involved with fire alarms for obvious reasons. Wouldn't want you to get hung drawn and quatered if the place was to burn down due to a faulty system. ;)

The alarm system that is needed is a type M call points and sounders (one smoke above the panel)
can any one advise what certification/paperwork/insurances etc would be needed
many thanks

The alarm system that is needed is a type M call points and sounders (one smoke above the panel)
can any one advise what certification/paperwork/insurances etc would be needed
many thanks

If there is no auto detection (surprisingly) then obviously the materials arent going to amount to much.

Work your materials out per floor, break glasses, sounders and cable and your method of cable management, assuming each floor is the same multiply it by 5. Work each floor out for labour and X 5 it.

Allow your commisioning time and certification.

Now, is the building occupied? makes a big difference. Remember buildings of this size would usually have a fair size budget for this type of job and if you are a sole trader you are small fry, what seems expensive to you probably wont to them, so make sure you cover your time well.

I have only recently gone self employed, and lucky have been doing well with loads of small local jobs
but I have been asked to quote on a larger job in Manchester (I live in derby) installing a fire alarm system to a 5 story office block. I am going on Friday to look at the job and get an idea of whats involved but I have not got a clue how to price for a job like this . I have been working domestic and just charging a day rate
I am comptente at installing fire alarms but I cant afford to lose money as I have only been a sole trader for 3 months.

hi leekemp

My name is Andy and i'm in the Manchester area. I'm also looking for work. I have some commercial experience of fire alarms i.e. i have worked with pyro. If you need any help or assistance I would be grateful of some work; I'm not looking for top dollar; a start is more important as i'm sat doing nothing at the moment! If you feel you could help me please give me a ring on: **********.

best wishes.

Mod Edit: Please dont post personal details on the forums. Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to where to start on quoting in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net