Discuss Which PAT tester should i buy? in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Currently using an old Seaward/Di-log 1000x and am not sure if it'll meet current requirements.
I do only between 1000-2000 appliances a year to keep my current customers happy.
Can someone recommend what new tester would suit best. and some guide to prices?
Downloadable would be nice, but its money dependant. (not that i cant afford it, just got to justify against the number of appliances i do)
Any recommendations

Hi vxwestie,

The Seaward/Di-log 1000-X does, in theory, still comply to current (minimum) requirement by the fact that it carries out an Earth Bond and Insulation Test. If memory serves it carries out a Flash Test as well which I wouldn't worry too much about now. One of the main drawbacks with it would be that it only carried out the earth bond tests using high current of 8 or 25A which isn't preferential when testing IT equipment. The tester is also not set up for testing extension leads of different lengths very well. Other than that, it is still a decent tester and they have proven to be quite durable.

If you are testing 1000-2000 appliances a per year, it could potentially warrant buying something with storage and downloading capability.
There is a Metrel PAT tester called the GammaPAT PRO which is a basic battery powered PAT tester which will test all 230V and IT Equipment to minimum requirements (Earth Bond, Insulation Testing, Polarity, Sub Leakage), while storing and downloading results via USB (the tester should store approx 1500 assets). The tester is reasonably priced at ÂŁ445.00 + VAT (supplied with PAT Software and a Microwave Leakage Detector as well). A more advanced version of this tester is also available called the Metrel DeltaPAT MI3309. The unit looks almost identical but carried out all the tests mentioned in the IEE Code of Practice including mains powered tests (Earth Leakage, Touch Current, RCD Trip Time, Fixed Appliance Testing). For that privelege the price is exactly another ÂŁ100.00 (ÂŁ545.00 + VAT).
If you are after something more substantial with a full QWERTY keyboard inbuilt and with full 110V testing capabilities, I could then recommend the Kewtech KT77 PAT tester which is mains powered, and set up for testing all 230V, 110V and IT equipment. The KT77 is also at the moment supplied with SimplyPATs Version 6 PAT software free of charge, which is an excellent software package for managing and maintaining your PAT records and creating professional reports. This is normally sold separately for ÂŁ269.00 + VAT. The whole Kewtech KT77 kit is ÂŁ695.00 + VAT.

These are just a few recommendations, but if you would like to talk about it more in depth, please PM or call us on 0113 248 9966.

Remember that you will also receive a 5% discount off all the prices quoted above or anything else. Hope this might provide food for thought :biggrin:

Remember buy the one you need not the one you think you need I like you had to have it as a part of my business but I just dont like it but at the same time I need it. So I bought the Kewtech KT71 bundle and its perfect for what I need as I am not going to do hundreds at a time more like 10-15 items also it comes in a good carry case with extras so yep its suits me as for documentation I issue equipment register that the letting agent uses as a asset register plus the PAT certificate with all the info on it. So setting it up is copy and paste so no probs but the bonus will be a repeat visit the following year as the documentation is all made up

Remember buy the one you need not the one you think you need I like you had to have it as a part of my business but I just dont like it but at the same time I need it. So I bought the Kewtech KT71 bundle and its perfect for what I need as I am not going to do hundreds at a time more like 10-15 items also it comes in a good carry case with extras so yep its suits me as for documentation I issue equipment register that the letting agent uses as a asset register plus the PAT certificate with all the info on it. So setting it up is copy and paste so no probs but the bonus will be a repeat visit the following year as the documentation is all made up

hi
dont you need a result sheet ie with 32 different details on it?
thanks

Equipment
No
Description
Ser-Mod
No
Class
I-II-III
Visual
Pass/Fail
Fuse
Amps

Type
Earth
Continuity
Insulation
MΩ
Leak
Load

Comment
Code
Pass
Fail
thats what i have on my sheet

page 38 under documentation
it says we need to have a copy of the formal visual inspection and combined inspection and test results ie form VL2

are you saying its possible to use a shorter form, if so could you point me in the direction of a shorter one?
thanks
yours confused as always

thanks
i have that form but its not the same as you posted ??
so is that you dont have to use the same as the one in the book?

There are quite a few PAT testers which are downloadable for less, but when you are looking at your options you will need to factor in the cost of PAT software. Most tester require dedicated PAT software installed on your PC to utilize the download functionality. This can often be a fairly big expense on top of the price of the tester (generally between ÂŁ100-400).
The lowest cost option is the Metrel GammaPAT or SigmaPAT mentioned above. If you want something more substantial with a QWERTY keyboard for faster data entry, then the KT77 is probably the lowest cost option you will get supplied with a software package. There are slightly lower cost options like Seaward Europa Plus (ÂŁ674 + VAT) and a Fluke 6500 (ÂŁ639.00 + VAT), but both those testers are not supplied with any software included for that price.

It is a bit of a jungle when looking for PATs. The amount of options are ridiculous and with different software options and cost for each model it makes it more difficult. Based on your posts considering a downloading tester, those are the options I would recommend.

But as oldtimer mentions above it depends on what you need. Downloading testers do help with speed and creating professional reports, but this comes at a cost. I would say that if you are testing 1000-2000 appliances over a year, it would probably warrant something that downloads. But you can get brilliant basic PAT testers that are easy and quick to use like the Kewtech KT71 or Seaward Primetest 100 for less than ÂŁ350 all in.

Reply to Which PAT tester should i buy? in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net