Discuss Which switches and dimmers do I need for multiple loops in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi There,

I need to buy some dimmer switches - hoping you can help me with the correct ones. I'm a DIYer and have replaced a few dimmer switches before, but this is a little more complex.

All of my lights are LED quartz8b-3k 36V 8W

I have the below setups that I need dimmers for:

• one gang (controlling 2x lights) - one way
  • one gang (controlling 7x lights) - one way
  • two gang (controlling 3x lights downstairs where one switch is and 9x lights upstairs where two of the switches are) - three way (i believe?)

I hope that all makes sense and I've used the right terminology!

Could you advise what dimmers I need to control these and, with the three way set up, do you have a master dimmer and the others are just on/off controls? Or are you able to dim both gangs of lights from all three areas? Or maybe you can only have one dimmer and the rest must be on/off switches, in which case can you have the dimmer on one gang and the on/off on the other downstairs, and vice versa upstairs? Or are there options for both that affect the cost?

Many thanks in advance!

Thanks, Lewis

TL;DR
what set up do I need?
- one gang (controlling 2x lights) - one way
- one gang (controlling 7x lights) - one way
- two gang (controlling 3x lights downstairs where one switch is and 9x lights upstairs where two of the switches are) - three way (i believe?)

I hope that all makes sense and I've used

Reply to Which switches and dimmers do I need for multiple loops in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net