Discuss Which Test Kit is Best and Why in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Which Test Kit Do You Use???

• Total voters
Megger MFT range are brilliant as starter kits, they are a bit more expensive than other manufacturers such as Kewtech and metrel but they are very clearly labeled and are pretty user friendly, In my personal opinion, Thanks for the thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes megger mft 1553 is my personal preference.

Metrel Eurotest 61557 for me does all the usual tests with a few other tests and functions on board that I do use

I've got a Megger MFT1553 'n all which is simple to use and robust. Worth bearing in mind though that there's no phase rotation function.

For the less carefull electrician speaking from experience i would recommend the metrel easytest .

I have had the all in one for about 5 years and its a clunky robust chunk of post communist no frills design .

I find the more expensive brands Robin,megger and co can be a bit vulnerable when removed from the comfort of the carrying case but most folks dont kick there testkit about the site when things dont go there way .

The easytest comes in a nice padded carrier case and is fully operational without removal , i can hand it to most workmates and they operate without questioning which is testimony to its simplistic design.

Testlead is a 3 lead plug socket and is exceptionaly robust but a replacement set is around £60 but you will never need them .

Seperate instruments every time :cool:

Robin insulation/continuity
Robin Pfc/loop tester
Robin Rcd tester

No comment to make on all in one testers
At the least none that could be made without the word s--t in the comment :)

Hey Des you still using robin lego blocks? c'mon get with the program brother! you also use an AVO 8 multimeter? and a slide rule? Logarithm Tables maybe?

Seperate instruments every time :cool:

Robin insulation/continuity
Robin Pfc/loop tester
Robin Rcd tester

No comment to make on all in one testers
At the least none that could be made without the word s--t in the comment :)

Have you had a bad experience of all in one testers? as you make a very sweeping statement that they are all s--t

I still use some separate instruments for specific fault finding but use an all in one for testing installations as the tests results can be saved and downloaded to provide a full audit trail of the tests carried out this also avoids results being made up on certs. In this litigation era I like to ensure that nothing comes back on me that I cannot defend

Last edited:
UNG
I do honestly prefer single instruments
I was not alltogether serious,just stirring the pot a little :)

Hey Des you still using robin lego blocks? c'mon get with the program brother! you also use an AVO 8 multimeter? and a slide rule? Logarithm Tables maybe?

The lego blocks were too difficult for me and logs yes,slide rules," no way" too dumb for those

I do own an all in one tester,the last time I used it ,I threw it to one side whilst I did the test properly with the singles :)

UNG
I do honestly prefer single instruments
I was not alltogether serious,just stirring the pot a little :)

I suppose it is all down to personal preference in the end what you choose use

I do own some separate instruments but tend to use a multi function unit for day to day testing and dare I say I have an AVO 8 although it only sees the light of day occasionally as it is still a useful instrument for some types of fault finding

Reply to Which Test Kit is Best and Why in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net