Search the forum,

Discuss Which Van is best for an electrical contractor? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

I need bigger now, mainly need something with 3 seats in the front, been looking at SWB Hi Ace's last few weeks. Firm i used to work for had one went for ever with hardly any myther, a few mechanics i've asked say they're the bees knees as well. Any one else had one ? What do you reckon?

I need bigger now, mainly need something with 3 seats in the front, been looking at SWB Hi Ace's last few weeks. Firm i used to work for had one went for ever with hardly any myther, a few mechanics i've asked say they're the bees knees as well. Any one else had one ? What do you reckon?

Solid! hold there value and not over hyped like the transporters.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Driven an 05 Vito-compact, for a few years. Great van to drive (Nippy, tiny turn circle), good size back and front. Has some major con's though. Loves the rust, like it's old shape and as already mentioned, loves a good drink.

anything is good as long as it isnt made in France

Looks like i'm in trouble then! lol Got a 3 year old Dispatch. So far nothing's gone wrong but i've not had it a year yet so there's plenty of time. Really like it compared to my old Transit Connect. Plenty of room in the back and it'll carry a tonne. Not bad on economy either so long as you don't drive like you're on fire, regularly get over 500miles to a tank (£100 worth of diesel) and that's predominantly doing short journeys of anything under a mile to 15miles max. Had a few weeks where i was doing regular trips up and down the A1 and that added another 50miles to a tank. Comfy van too plus it's got electric windows which is a surprisingly basic but nice feature to have.

i know them as toyota hiace

they had/have a great reputation for build quality and reliablity

i'm afraid i'm not up to date

mechanics have great time for toyota and hiaces

2006 transit 110ps T280 LX. Had this from new. got this as rolled my F reg 350 quid evil bay transit on the M40 in the rain, twice, landed on wheels engine still running, most of tools still in place!!! after that thought 'good build'. No problems with it, been to the south of France with the other half in front, 90+ most of the way, even she remarked how comfortable and usable the cab was. Not bad on fuel either, 32-36 mpg depending how much motorway. Good running costs, tax is less than herselfs volvo!:D

transit / transit connects have got a good rep from what i've heard,

looking at getting a transit connect in the near future.

if you get a Connect, make sure it is at least the 90PS engine, if you get the 75PS you will regret it, especially if you are heavy and hit a hill. The 75 is also a bit on the thirsty side, underpowered engine working its balls off. I speak from experience cos i have one.

But overall a very good vehicle, reliable, cheap to maintain etc.

Cheers.........howard

Got a 2004 transit MWB with semi high roof. Gets all the gear in the back and still good on fuel. Its been battered useless from day one but is as good as gold. would recommend

Have a Vivaro - Cant fault it.. off the road at present as a very nice lady thought it would be good to modify the drivetrain with the front of her fiesta! :(

Have a Courtesy Van now, '07 Transit. Nice to drive and swallows huge loads... sadly its already rusting though which isnt a good sign!!!

Hi, I'm thinking of changing my van. Can anyone reccomend one? Ive got a Vivaro at the moment but thinking of down sizing as I dont have a car and its not exactly a fanny magnet!
Will an Astra or Combo be big enough?

it all depends on what your looking to keep in the van as access in the back of an astra can be a nightmare on the back. i moved up to a vivaro from an astra to because of this.

I guess it depends on what you need to carry really, and as for fanny magnet... well I dont really think a vauxhall of any sort is gonna make it mate..( oooh hes got a VAUXHALL!!!.....never gonna happen!!)
Mind you if you have a Vivaro at the moment I pity you, I have one too and they are ....lets say not the best build quality. Steer well clear if its got over 100 thou on the clock as the fuel system will start playing up one way or another soon, check out the forums is my advice and dont wait untill you really need one as I did.( learn from the mistakes of others said the wise man)
I think the VW transporters are good vans but dont know that much about their issues, they hold their price well witch kind of tells a tale.

I sorted the car/van issue by getting a used Vito Dualiner. 5 seats plus a closed-in van section at the back.
It's well specced and mine is the CDI 115 (150bhp and 330Nm).

As for a 'fanny magnet', no van will cut it for most of the ladies, but a VW T4/T5 suitably modded will work for the hippy surf chick. The value holding is down to being associated with the original surf buses (T1 split screen, T2 bay window, T3 wedge/brick). There are 3 VW clubs near me with hundredes of members. Try finding a Vauxhall club.
And because of this I avoided a T5 Kombi as it would have been £5K more than my Vito of similar age/spec.

there are loads of "Sport" vans the VW transporter (loads of accesories available to "magnatise" it ) would be my choice Transit sport with viper stripes and loads of chrome looks a bit more Pikey than Fanny Magnet

An old friend of mine use to impress the burds by telling them about his v12 Merc turbo with 500BHP ABL ESP TV ect ect imagine their surprise when he showed them his 38t tractor unit lol 9 that said he had plenty takers for the bunk )

Last edited by a moderator:
Combo's dont feel right to me, a corsa with a box on the back!!!!!
Connects are as they are designed to be van.
Down sizing is not the way to go.
Transporters are great but expensive ditto Vito.
Vivaro/Trafic/Primastar are much better value, go for the 2.5 a much better van as the gearbox is stronger. As for a a Transit, depends who you talk to.
Remember all vans have moving parts so they will all fail, just how long it takes. 1.9 T5's turbo's fail, Trafic 1.9 gearbox fails, Transits EGR valve fails, Merc's rot and the heads carbon up if not given some beans, Maxus side doors fall off, as do Dispatch doors, the list goes on. Vans are now complex things that are better to drive but not as reliable. Hobsons choice really

Just bought an Astra 1.9 cdti sportive se, great vans if you dont need to carry much with you, best to get a rack as steps and lengths of conduit are a problem, they've also got a limited edition sportive se vxs 205ps out! they're not as practible but fun to drive!

Just bought an Astra 1.9 cdti sportive se, great vans if you dont need to carry much with you, best to get a rack as steps and lengths of conduit are a problem, they've also got a limited edition sportive se vxs 205ps out! they're not as practible but fun to drive!

Once borrowed the bosses at one of my old firms as my Nissan primastar blew up, well nice van trying to persuade current firm to get us something like them but seem stuck in their ways with ford, transits for sparks and connects for service engineers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"There is only one van of vans. - Transporter! " ...just been quoted 20k for one!

could really need some help here guys. had a combo there awful. been using my vectra to lumber all my tools around and swa, conduit the works. Ruined it.

ive got a budget of 8,000 im either going to get a vivaro, transporter or a transit. do you think its financially worth gettin one from new nearly new and paying a loan or buyin a 2nd hand one with a few miles with no warranty?

bit worried on the service side of things as cant afford for it to be breaking down every 5 minutes.

I am running a T4 with 135K miles, id rather own an older one outright than have a loan, but mind you I can and always have done all the work on my motor for the last 16years.

So from the cost point of view, it is relatively cheap for me to run it.

Belec

You not impressed with combo?
Nearly bought one this week
Stuck between combo, berlingo, astra or even connect
All about 6-7 year old
Just cutting all outgoings down

Any thoughts?

VW Caddy TDi

Stay away from the vauxhalls/renaults

I have a connect which is works, its a 57 with 65k on, ive put 23,000 hard driven miles on it and it hasnt arisen a single problem yet

Only problem with it is it could do with being a bit quicker, as its only the 75bhp model, try the 90bhp one or get a 75bhp on and get it remapped

vivaro traffic primastar :behead: all the same vans really with terrible fuel pump problems, wiring is also terrible and the injectors weld themselves into the cylinder head, and are £200 each ( you may need to change injectors because when the high pressure fuel pump breaks down it passes brass swarf into the rest of the fuel system, this jams in the injectors and keeps them open, when they are open the fuel pump will not pressurise as quick and thus the engine wont start :death:

However they are nice vans to drive look good and dont rust much, so a low milage one would prob be ok.

Mine is an older one 52 plate so things may be different on a newer model, but mine will often take 45 seconds of turning over before firing, 45 seconds is a long time for that kind of strain on the battery!

As soon as budget allows I would go for a transporter

If you have an 8k budget why not consider putting some of it away and leasing a van £200-£250 pm would get a brand new decent van usually with the option to buy at the end of the term.

Best thing to do although it would take a bit of time would be to narrow your van choice to 3 or 4 and then join the appropriate forums to get advice and get the word on what issues the vans have.

The most important thing in buying any vehicle is .....DO NOT RUSH IN...take your time, going to see a few different vans will take a bit of time again , but will save 10 fold in the long run, if your van is in a garage for a few days being repaired

Good luck on you quest ...may the force be with you!!!!

Ive a 53plate 1.5 DCI renult Kangoo, and its very very gay and french. At least its cheap to run, cos most the time the bloody turbo wont work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Belec

You not impressed with combo?
Nearly bought one this week
Stuck between combo, berlingo, astra or even connect
All about 6-7 year old
Just cutting all outgoings down

Any thoughts?

Personally wouldn't go for berlingo had one last firm wasn't impressed not the comfiest and not the quickest and turbos prone to going and apparently not cheap! Never had a combo so couldn't comment but look ok and as probably mentioned before there's a few out there from British gas and bt and all racked out inside, astra van not bad especially the sportive only drawback is if something right at back gotta climb in to get at it whereas combos etc have side loading door

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i have a works transit on an 08 plate with 92k on the clock ans never had a problem with it, i own an 05 connect with 91k on the clock, no problems you do feel like your sat in a goldfish bowl though, other half has a 60 plate vw caddy, what a pile of dog poo.

can't beat ford for commercials, there real work horses and don't cost the earth to repair.

Steer clear of the 1.9 TDI Volkswagen engine. The block itself is bombproof, the turbo is a nightmare and will cause all sorts of problems WHEN it fails. The 2ltr is miles better.
A 2.5TDI T4 is fantastic, getting rare in good nick and expensive for its age. Get a good one and its well worth it.
A word on the Vivaro, get the 2.5 because the 1.9's eat gearboxes and fuel pumps. The 2.5 is an all together more mechaniclly robust van.

"can't beat ford for commercials, there real work horses and don't cost the earth to repair"
Hmmm..............
everyone I speak to in the motor trade says the Transit is the easiest way to empty your bank account.

Had a Berlingo at the last firm, it was a waste of space (what little space it had). Now in a LWB transit on a '56 plate with 34K on it. Only thing about this is parking it !!

Cheers,
Lofty.

"can't beat ford for commercials, there real work horses and don't cost the earth to repair"
Hmmm..............
everyone I speak to in the motor trade says the Transit is the easiest way to empty your bank account.

well each to there own, i've done 60k in mine in the last 2 years and all its had is brakes and tires, and i don't drive like miss daisy, i drive it like i stole it,lol

Reply to Which Van is best for an electrical contractor? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net