Discuss Why bother getting a gold card when they're giving away black ones. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Joshua

-
Arms
Reaction score
I think I've given up on our industry now.
More dumbing down from the JIB.

Screenshot_20180706-165923_Word.jpg

I'm not entirely sure what your point is.

Black JIB cards (which were previously platinum cards) have existed for quite some time. These do not replace gold cards and do not permit the holder to take out a screwdriver on site.

I'm not entirely sure what your point is.

Black JIB cards (which were previously platinum cards) have existed for quite some time. These do not replace gold cards and do not permit the holder to take out a screwdriver on site.

I'm not saying they're replacing gold cards

I'm saying that how can someone manage electricians if they've never been one? My mum could go and do a SSSTS course and become an Electrical site manager in 5 days. If you have been on a site recently you'll see you don't need a gold card to be let loose.

I'm not saying they're replacing gold cards

I'm saying that how can someone manage electricians if they've never been one? My mum could go and do a SSSTS course and become an Electrical site manager in 5 days. If you have been on a site recently you'll see you don't need a gold card to be let loose.
I wasn't suggesting that all sites require JIB cards - I was merely pointing out that those that do will not permit someone with a black card but no gold card to carry out electrical work on site.

With the relaxing of the criteria to get a black card. It won't be long until we turn up to a job that's being run by a 2 day wonder manager.

I wasn't suggesting that all sites require JIB cards - I was merely pointing out that those that do will not permit someone with a black card but no gold card to carry out electrical work on site.
Whats the issue, if as per the image the person is a electrical contracts manager then theybwill have electrical experience anyway.

Whats the issue, if as per the image the person is a electrical contracts manager then theybwill have electrical experience anyway.

That's what I would hope but nope. No electrical experience whatsoever. You'll just do health and safety exam aimed at management and then you'll be able to apply for a card.

Not once they've changed the criteria. All you'd need is an SSSTS or equivalent health and safety exam. Which you can do in 2 days and its a guaranteed pass.
Seeing as you obvioulsy didn’t read the link I posted. I will put it on here for you

“2. Have full company support and provide a job reference/ job description as part of an application.”

So you must have supporting documentation from your company to obtain the card.

they already in effect give the gold cards away, if you are the QS for a NICEIC approved contractor and have been for 3 years then you can get a gold card for around £50... no NVQ or AM2 required!
I’ve been QS for five years but they won’t give me a gold card. Not that I want one.

Seeing as you obvioulsy didn’t read the link I posted. I will put it on here for you

“2. Have full company support and provide a job reference/ job description as part of an application.”

So you must have supporting documentation from your company to obtain the card.

Sorry I don't think you understand what is happening.

As it stands until August you need either

An NVQ Level 4

Written letter confirming you have experience in your current position.

written letter confirming you have previous experience in a previous position.

Now they've scraped the need for a qualification and now under the new rules all you need is

Written letter confirming you have experience (Could be written by anyone)

An IOSH health and safety exam

Or an SMSTS / SSSTS (Which can be done in 2 days by any idiot with a pen)

You don't need any qualifications anymore. None of the new criteria states you need any qualifications to get a black card.

And then you'll get a Black site managers card and will be overseeing electrical works that you may not have any clue about, and in most cases the main contractor will see a black card and assume it's in line with a CSCS black card.

The confusion you've shown just proved my point that not many people understand fully what's happening to the industry.

Surely I can't be the only one who can see how damaging this can be?

Reply to Why bother getting a gold card when they're giving away black ones. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net