Discuss Why do we do it the way we do in the UK? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

You can get DP RCBOs in single width, like the compact Wylex, Crabtree, and fusebox RCBOs so they take no more space then traditional UK style MCBs.

I really prefer DP ones for various reasons:
  • They isolate both L & N so you can IR test the circuit without having to unscrew anything
  • If you have a TT style arrangement with an up-front delay RCD the you don't trip that on a N-E fault downstream (as N is isolated)
  • If you are really unfortunate and have reversed polarity, you still get some hope of a fault being interrupted (but you really don't want to test that out as the I2t of the relatively slow RCD opening action will be horrendous)

Can you get a L+N busbar for the single width ?

You mean the MCB side of it ?
It'll be just on the L pole
?
It's one of those "you need to check" things. I expect the some of the two module types will sense (MCB function) on both poles, and some of the single module types don't even switch the neutral.
Some of the single module types sense on the L pole only (for the MCB function) but switch both poles. Obviously for the RCD function they sense on both poles.

Its all DP 2-mod rcbos here
The DP 2 mod rcbo, s with L and N busbar fed from underneath is undoubtedly one of the best designed and user friendly DB, s that's ever hit the market. It really should be the "gold standard". However, after 25 years of using them I, m sad to say, there appears to be a change on the way. (over here in ROI). Have you seen the latest Hagar designed DB based on the new 2021 regs?

The DP 2 mod rcbo, s with L and N busbar fed from underneath is undoubtedly one of the best designed and user friendly DB, s that's ever hit the market. It really should be the "gold standard". However, after 25 years of using them I, m sad to say, there appears to be a change on the way. (over here in ROI). Have you seen the latest Hagar designed DB based on the new 2021 regs?

No, I'm familiar with the changes to DBs in the new rules here, but haven't seen the Hager board

Attachments

• IMG_20210830_111910.jpg
    558 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20210830_111841.jpg
    474.8 KB · Views: 37
What's actually in the Hager board

We're very similar to the UK now non-, combustible boards, arc fault and surge protection

Heading towards all rcbo although I think it's only a recommendation

They can't seem to think straight on bathroom lighting ,went ott with emergency lighting and rcbos and now they're allowing it on a shared rcd if I'm not mistaken

I install this tomorrow. First rewire under new regs. To my great surprise the single module rcbo and the "dreaded flylead" has invaded our shores. Our beloved 2 pole rcbo and L +N busbar is being sacrificed for space in preparation for rcbo populated DB, s.

Reply to Why do we do it the way we do in the UK? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net