Currently reading:
Why part P is here.

Discuss Why part P is here. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

GiZmorob

I turned up to this job just before Xmas.
I was called out to help this lady who had tried to unscrew a G9 bulb and broke it off in the fitting.
While working on the fitting at the bottom of this image I noticed the cpc sticking out of a junction box so had a look and this is what I found.

IMG_1499a.jpg

To top it off while packing some tools away in the hall I see a socket with writing on "NO EARTH TAKE CARE".

Isolated these parts until I can get back but brings into question all the circuits. Would of been a call-out but now its I got to go back and put it all right.

What do you guys think??????

des, what about builders? why are cement mixers too small to stuff a builder in? unless we can get them in those readymix ones on ther back of the wagons.

to raise a phenomenal amount of revenue ( even more than what they've lost by banning smoking in pubs and persuading thousands to give up altogether) the government should impose a walk-in tax to all these diabolical shopping centres. just think, every time a woman walks into matalan, primark, tkmax, etc. electronic sensor £1. kerching!.
yes....you could hide the chip in shoes....
every new pair of shoes she demands....kerching....

Simple the consumer has got to made aware of their responsibilties and be held more accountable. Fact 83% of electrical consumers do not know of the Electrical Safety Concils let alone Part P or NICEIC or what the requirements are regarding their electrical installation. Also simple solution stop all this hand ringing and act make EICR compulsory every 3 years by law not this recommend of 10 years what rubbish if no EICR with all remidals fixed NO House insurance simple stop all the rubbish in one stroke. We do it with our cars MOT why not electrics??

Really !! how foolish of me and there I was thinking prevention is better than cure, and 1 [one] death from faulty or badly installed electrics is 1 to many let alone a FEW??? But hey take you comments on board so in the meantime lets keep selling CU's in B&Q lets keep the Pub do it for a tenner spark wire in showers in 2.5 with no RCD and light circuits with no CPC and all us sparks who give a $%&+ can keep ringing our hands and throwing our arms in the air saying we cannot command a rate that is in line and fair for our skills and qualifications Even better why raise the bar at all lets really dumb our whole industry down
Because very few people are killed by electricity.

Please don't wake up Nicholas.

Really !! how foolish of me and there I was thinking prevention is better than cure, and 1 [one] death from faulty or badly installed electrics is 1 to many let alone a FEW???
I was merely responding to your proposal/demand for EICRs as a means to increase electrical safety and explaining why it is not already implemented.

The fact is it is not necessary because electrical installations are not considered, by the powers that be, to be a danger to the public because very few people are killed by electricity - especially in the home.

Your sentiments may be admirable but that is not how the world works.

Far more people are killed (in the home) by simple accidents not to mention the ten a day on the roads.

Edit - I should add that as well as the 'powers that be' it must also be considered unnecessary by the insurance companies.

so in the meantime lets keep selling CU's in B&Q
So your solution to some of the ills affecting our trade is to ban sheds selling electrical gear? I can walk into plumb center and as long as I can pay the nice man behind the counter he will sell me everything I need to install a heating system, Halfords will sell me anything I need to install brake pads on your car.
Furthermore, that same shed that you're complaining about sells everything anyone needs to build an estate full of houses. I'm not saying it's right but it's just the way it is mate and it will not change because the shed are owned by massive businesses that the government are scared of.

I was merely responding to your proposal/demand for EICRs as a means to increase electrical safety and explaining why it is not already implemented.

The fact is it is not necessary because electrical installations are not considered, by the powers that be, to be a danger to the public because very few people are killed by electricity - especially in the home.

Your sentiments may be admirable but that is not how the world works.

Far more people are killed (in the home) by simple accidents not to mention the ten a day on the roads.

Edit - I should add that as well as the 'powers that be' it must also be considered unnecessary by the insurance companies.

Having spent some of my life in Australia, where the rules governing the sale of kit to the general public was very strict, I can honestly say it made NO difrence at all, as there was always a "guy down the road" who could supply you anything at the right price.. He just acted as a middle man, it was as easy as that....

To me the best way for things to get better is that insurance companies will not insure unless a valid EICR is in place.
All it would talk is the Scam providers to lobby the insurance companies for mandatory EICR's. That way the Scam providers actually do something for their 'fees', the insurance companies get properties less likely to burn down due to electrical issues, and Sparks get more work. Everyone wins!!!

To me the best way for things to get better is that insurance companies will not insure unless a valid EICR is in place.
All it would talk is the Scam providers to lobby the insurance companies for mandatory EICR's. That way the Scam providers actually do something for their 'fees', the insurance companies get properties less likely to burn down due to electrical issues, and Sparks get more work. Everyone wins!!!

Good idea, but how long until an EICR would become a worthless document completed in an hour or less, like the way PAT testing as become?

Good idea, but how long until an EICR would become a worthless document completed in an hour or less, like the way PAT testing as become?
pat testing`s downfall is all about emptyheads hiding under tables just passing stuff timo....
at least with an ECR its a proper document...not just a few values made up and scribbled down on a bit of paper (althought this sometimes happens with fixed install as well..lol)..

problem would be the degrading of EICRs with home owners,landlords etc. screwing the price down so the muppets will be doing 5 a day at £40 a pop. making up the figures.

problem would be the degrading of EICRs with home owners,landlords etc. screwing the price down so the muppets will be doing 5 a day at £40 a pop. making up the figures.
wall as far as the landlords are concerned Tel...well their allready at it arn`t they....the look of shock on their face when you tell em how much to ECR one of their 2 bed renteds..lol..priceless..

If it were necessary, i.e. it was costing them lots of money, rest assured they would have.

It is starting to happen on commercial properties round here. Lots of insurance companies refusing to insure without an EICR. This is for Hotels, Guest Houses and Holiday Apartments.
The local Council are also trialling 'selective licensing' on all HMO's and buildings that are multiple dwellings. This includes electrical safety testing. It is supposed to involve council depts working together including Building Control. So hopefully it will drive up standards. Personally I doubt it as those of us who comply with the laws will continue to do so and those that don't comply with law will continue to do so.

:26:
It is starting to happen on commercial properties round here. Lots of insurance companies refusing to insure without an EICR. This is for Hotels, Guest Houses and Holiday Apartments.
The local Council are also trialling 'selective licensing' on all HMO's and buildings that are multiple dwellings. This includes electrical safety testing. It is supposed to involve council depts working together including Building Control. So hopefully it will drive up standards. Personally I doubt it as those of us who comply with the laws will continue to do so and those that don't comply with law will continue to do so.

They would invariably make rules that are not wanted and will be a waste of time and money

They will straight away stipulate that the Eicr is carried out by an Niceic contractor.there would be no reference to the person actually doing the report being competent
Qualified skilled and experienced electricians being excluded with possible "supervised" incompetents doing the reports

It would become a gravy train for what we have now. incompetent reports, paid for by the businesses

happy new year:sifone:

local councils should confine their activities to what they are competent at..... emptying bins and repairing the roads. once they get involved with things like electrical work, they convene endless meetings, produce countless 1000 page reports, blabbing on about what should be done, but end up nowhere, then up the council tax to pay for it all.

Reply to Why part P is here. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock