Discuss Why so big a difference in price? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

So let's see the pics of this installation.... I don't think you'll put pics up though ;)

Too many one man band domestic installers set up that's the problem the market is flooded with so called "Electricians".

I was sat in a Co op car park yesterday eating my lunch and in the space of half an hour two Electrical Installation vans part P registered and the classic plumber van pulled in and a member of a scheme also does electrics local guys and a pretty small town.

Cheers

So an electrician recommended by the fitter who has worked on many building sites and has the following is unqualified?

EAL DOMESTIC INSTALLERS CERTIFICATE
CITY AND GUILDS
PART P

Trying to start the old DI vs Apprenticeship served argument......Definitely a WIND UP!!!!!!

How could he have shown the Part P qualification.... It's a building reg!

Last edited:
How could he have shown the Part P qualification.... It's a building reg!

I've heard this lots of times on here. I don't quite get it...
Yes Part P is a building reg but there are courses out there were you take a test and get a piece of paper saying you have passed 'Part P qualification'
I could say that the 17th Ed is a reg and not a qualification, but still you can take a test and get a piece of paper saying you have passed.

and, yes, I feel the OP is just trying to wind people up...

Okay lets get back on track, the guy asked for cash, I never accepted cash when I ran a business but then I was Limited and liked everything clean as a whistle, that said nothing wrong with cash, however did you get a proper company invoice? the actual quote is cheap to be fair, I would have priced the job based on your description at 850 quid plus vat if I really wanted the job and 1200-1300 plus vat if I was busy and didn't. Saying this did the guy actually allow for examining the existing installation? was the Consumer unit up to scratch? was there main equipotential bonding in place and was it satisfactory? did he confirm existing RCDs or RCBOs were satisfactory? was the down lighters he installed fireproof? who plastered up the chases for the new socket and switch drops? if all above was done or explained then you have just had a spark around who dropped a clanger and maybe next time he will get it right.

I am suprised Dr Jones isn't at work, although I suspect that he is as much a doctor as Dr Hook was (the older members will remember him). Ironically if Dr Jones isn't on a wind up, I doubt he would be in love with a beautiful woman because I would be sure he lived alone (again for the younger members that was a reference to one of Dr Hooks songs).

So an electrician recommended by the fitter who has worked on many building sites and has the following is unqualified?

CITY AND GUILDS
PART P
Absolutely. In fact he's not an Electrician but a "Domestic Electrical Installer". How do you even know his qualifications? Is this a wind-up?

CITY AND GUILDS
PART P

If he's advertising that array of mickey mouse quals then he's almost certainly not what the industry would recognise as fully qualified. That coupled with the cheap price would have me with serious doubts about the quality of service.

Could also all be fine though.

Steve, I think you are making assumptions. You are assuming the spark that did the work did it to a very good level. Your ÂŁ460 job may be a lash up and not satisfy the regs. You are also assuming how much electricians earn.
I come across plenty of dodgy electrics installed by qualified sparks with shiny sign written vans. And plenty of people are willing to sign 'safety certs' even though things are not correct.
Was bonding, earthing and circuit protection up to scratch?
Other considerations are that as this particular spark works with the kitchen fitters regularly they will have a better idea as to how they work. The other quoters may have thought it sounded a bit of a pain to do. They may have thought it would take longer than it actually took.
Or they may be really busy and not want nor need the work so tried to price themselves out of the equation. Or it may be the case that they didn't take too you on a professional level and priced accordingly.
For the works done I think 460 is to cheap by a few hundred pounds, and I would suspect something is awry. But you seem set firm in the belief that they were trying to rip you off.

I've heard this lots of times on here. I don't quite get it...
Yes Part P is a building reg but there are courses out there were you take a test and get a piece of paper saying you have passed 'Part P qualification'
I could say that the 17th Ed is a reg and not a qualification, but still you can take a test and get a piece of paper saying you have passed.

and, yes, I feel the OP is just trying to wind people up...

I think the issue may be that as a bolt-on to a fully qualified electrician these sort of one day courses are perfectly fine.

As a stand alone course however they are completely worthless. Doing the 17th Edition course but no other qualifications does not make you anywhere near an electrician and this is what these cowboys are trading on - giving a false sense of security to joe public that knows nothing better.

CITY AND GUILDS
PART P
Anyone recommended by a fitter is most probably not an electrician. If he is a domestic installer, he is not an electrician. Let's make that very clear as domestic installers are exactly that and not electricians. What city and guild is that? There are thousands or city and guild courses but is it the required one? I think your another member of the public who doesn' actually understand electrical work or what is involved and jump at cheap prices. I can't blame you for that. 90 per cent of the public is the same.

If he is a domestic installer, he is not an electrician. Let's make that very clear as domestic installers are exactly that and not electricians.

wow... that sounds very stuck-up...
I suppose it's everyone to their own opinion.
How about just thinking that they are electricians, but just at a different knowledge base to you...

wow... that sounds very stuck-up...
I suppose it's everyone to their own opinion.
How about just thinking that they are electricians, but just at a different knowledge base to you...
i agree, ive seen industrial guys struggle with routing cables inside houses, having the ability to guess where dwangs are in walls, fishing for cables in victorian properties.

most sparkies can adapt from one to the other but it takes time

There's not enough information to make judgement on the electrician. Where I live 10 hours work would equate to around ÂŁ250. So assuming the job was straight forward and done correctly ÂŁ460 is not out of the realms of realistic. But due to the large difference in prices I can understand why there is suspicion.
If the OP would post some pictures of the completed work and maybe more information regarding consumer unit, bonding etc... then we could make a better judgment as to whether it was value for more or a bodge job.

Anyone recommended by a fitter is most probably not an electrician. If he is a domestic installer, he is not an electrician. Let's make that very clear as domestic installers are exactly that and not electricians. What city and guild is that? There are thousands or city and guild courses but is it the required one? I think your another member of the public who doesn' actually understand electrical work or what is involved and jump at cheap prices. I can't blame you for that. 90 per cent of the public is the same.
Would you say an electrician is a person who does single phase and three phase then. The reason I ask this if you do only domestic refits or completely new and join a scheme and your now classed as designer and skilled amendment 3 ? Inteested to here your veiw

An Electrician is anyone who installs or maintains electrical systems LV or HV. Domestic , Commercial, Industrial Electricians are all Electricians. The skill and knowledge level differs vastly. Coming mostly from a domestic and light commercial end of the array, I must admit heavy end commercial and Industrial Electricians are in a different class to me. I would not even begin to attempt to do what they do unless I was fully instructed. However an Industrial electrician may likely make a complete mess of a domestic installation. Like all professions there are many skill levels.

Final word; Good question @steve_jones and it is a mystery to me as well as to you. In Bristol we have a man who will rewire your house for ÂŁ2000. Nobody can compete with him. I cannnot fathom how he can do it. ÂŁ4000 is about the average price. I am sometimes undercut by other electricians at sometimes as much as 50% as the customer tells me. Again I have no idea how they can do it and make a living. I am not living in the Canaries sipping pina colada on the beach I can assure you. I make a decent living no more.
People ask for reductions on the price and I never give any. Why? Because the price I worked out is an honest price based on my perception of the labour and materials and there is no wiggle room in that. I am not a used car salesman with a mark up of 500% to play with your head with.

Reply to Why so big a difference in price? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net