Search for tools and product advice,

Discuss Why use hellermann sleeves (automation) in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

daveelectrician

Hi everyone, I am currently working in a new power station where we are terminating all the 20 pair and 10 pair individually screened SWA lsoh cables into the automation cabinets and junction boxes. My question is, why do all the pairs have to have hellerman sleeves over them? Why can't we just use insulation tape or self amalgamating tape? We were using amalgamating tape, but have recently been told to take it of and use hellermann sleeves

Last edited by a moderator:
I use Hellerman Tyton sleeves now and then, I also use heatshrink and heatshrink breakout boots a lot....the electrical tape doesn't meet any standards when used like that.... getting the breakout boots can be a problem so I have had to buy them from abroad sometimes as very few companies sell them here.... if you use tape then the customers will bring this up at snagging/inspection and complain, they will also think "if that's the state... what about the rest of it".... and this can get used to claim penalties/discounts etc...some customers will also demand that it is re-done and a few might have it ripped out altogether and redone by another company, again leading to penalties...

Hellemans are there just to make a tidy job it basically. No matter how hard you try with tape it will always look a mess at the end of it. Its standard practice within my company. Also its quicker then tape.

Why, ...Because the people that's paying for this work, wants it done properly and to a Spec'!! It certainly doesn't want to be opening these control panels a year or so down the line and see reams of insulation tape unraveling itself from individual conductors...

Hellermann sleeves are usually specified because they can be pulled back to check the termination at a later date and then easily reinstated, whereas insulation or self amalgamating tape has to cut off and replaced, plus the construction looks neater and more professional. Particularly when several people are working on the same equipment as the resulting construction is more uniform and doesn't suffer from the vagaries of wrapped joints eg. right handed people generally preferring to wrap joints clockwise and left handed people wrapping anti-clockwise.

Reply to Why use hellermann sleeves (automation) in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net