Discuss Wiring regs as at Dec 2005 in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

SJD

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I have an EIC from a customer for a domestic property, dated Dec 2005, which covers the installation of a new consumer unit, to bring the installation up to date (at per the regulations in force at that time, stated as 2001 amended to 2004).

There are two socket circuits, would you have expected them both to have been protected with an RCD?
There are no RCDs installed in the consumer unit.

The certificate has the box ticked the "Presence of RCD(s) for supplementary protection ..."
The test sheet shows the protective devices as 60898 for all circuits, and just one socket circuit has an entry in the RCD columns, which I think is for a lone RCD socket by the back door (for use outside).

I have the impression the customer was misled at the time about what they were being invoiced for, but being a rental property did not actually inspect the work. The invoice is slightly vague (perhaps deliberately so), and which is why I want to check what the regs would have required at that time.

If I remember the only sockets required with RCD protection were ones which would have been expected to be used for outdoor use, following regs tightened this to all downstairs sockets then the tightening continued to where we are today.

The tick in the rcd box means the requirements for rcd protection has been inspected and met, this could be the case back then.

My dates are vague at when the regs changed so happy to stand corrected.

The regs would have required, as far as my knowledge recalls as I don't have a copy of the 16th with me, for sockets likely to used for outdoor equipment to be protected by RCD.
It was standard practice and usual to see all socket circuits covered by RCD though by 2005.

The above needs to be confirmed by others, as like I say I don't have the text to back that up.

471-16-01 Brown book.

A socket-outlet rated at 32 A or less which may reasonably be expected to supply portable equipment for use outdoors shall be provided with supplementary protection to reduce the risk associated with direct contact by means of a residual current device having the characteristics specified in Regulation 412-06-02(ii).
This regulation does not apply to a socket-outlet supplied by a circuit incorporating one or more of the protective measures specified in items (i) to (iii) below and complying with the Regulations indicated:
(i) protection by SELV (see Regulations 411-02 and 471-02) (ii) protection by electrical separation (see Regulations 413-06 and 471-12)
(iii) protection by automatic disconnection and reduced
low voltage systems (see Regulation 471-15).

471-16-02 Except where one or more of the protective measures specified in items (i) to (iii) of Regulation 471-16-01 are applied in compliance with the corresponding regulations stated therein, a circuit supplying portable equipment for use outdoors, connected other than through a socket-outlet by means of flexible cable or cord having a current- carrying capacity of 32 A or less, shall be provided with supplementary protection to reduce the risk associated with direct contact, by means of a residual current device having the characteristics specified in Regulation 412-06-02(ii).

Last edited:
471-16-01 Brown book.

A socket-outlet rated at 32 A or less which may reasonably be expected to supply portable equipment for use outdoors shall be provided with supplementary protection to reduce the risk associated with direct contact by means of a residual current device having the characteristics specified in Regulation 412-06-02(ii).

So if I understand correctly, in 2005, if you just fitted a socket with integral RCD where power is used outdoor, then you could truthfully say you have brought the installation up to the regulations at the time (with regard to the socket circuits). This is what appears to have been done.

It is just that the customer had expected an RCD to be installed in the consumer unit to protect all sockets, but the invoice doesn't actually say this.

So if I understand correctly, in 2005, if you just fitted a socket with integral RCD where power is used outdoor, then you could truthfully say you have brought the installation up to the regulations at the time (with regard to the socket circuits). This is what appears to have been done.

It is just that the customer had expected an RCD to be installed in the consumer unit to protect all sockets, but the invoice doesn't actually say this.

Yes, if all the sockets that may reasonably be expected to supply portable equipment for use outdoors is an RCD socket then it would of complied at the time.

if I remember right,in a room containing a shower , the sockets had to be rcd protected @ 3mtr from the shower. Not to sure on the distance.

The only requirement for socket circuits to be provided with 30mA RCD protection is where they are part of an agricultural/horticultural installation.
Prior to the 17th edition, the requirements for socket-outlets in locations containing baths or showers, were that they were either ELV or shaver type.

Reply to Wiring regs as at Dec 2005 in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net