Discuss Working away from home in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Big Dave

DIY
Reaction score
Hi All,

I work as a sub contrctor for a electrical company in London & i have been asked to work away for a few days a 4hr drive away & staying in hotels for a few days.

I have been asked to go up on the bank holiday in Aug early evening so i can be on site first thing on tuesday morning,I wont be doing the driving as i will be picked up.

I am just wondering what rate i should charge due to traveling up on the bank holiday & the long hrs i will be doing plus the travel back as we wont be due back in london until gone midnight as we will be leaving late.

Please let me know some suggestions & thoughts.

Thanks all have a good weekend.

Big Dave

And don't forget to agree they pick up the tab directly for the hotel and meals, not you pay and they reimburse through expenses, that way you can eat steak every night and have a decent bottle of wine to share with your buddies in the same hotel.

I agree with LikeD except it would be double money for all working hours.

It kind of depends on what they are willing to accept!

Travel by road is usually 45p/mile as the official rate (less above some point but if you don't normally get it then go for the higher rate). I agree with the above, get them to pay for hotels, etc, directly and not mess you about over expense claims.

Some employers have a policy of never paying for alcohol on expense, but they should at least pay for your steaks!

Hi All,

I work as a sub contrctor for a electrical company in London & i have been asked to work away for a few days a 4hr drive away & staying in hotels for a few days.

I have been asked to go up on the bank holiday in Aug early evening so i can be on site first thing on tuesday morning,I wont be doing the driving as i will be picked up.

I am just wondering what rate i should charge due to traveling up on the bank holiday & the long hrs i will be doing plus the travel back as we wont be due back in london until gone midnight as we will be leaving late.

Please let me know some suggestions & thoughts.

Thanks all have a good weekend.

Big Dave
I disagree with the hotel meal question, most auditors would say that even though you are working away, doesn't give you the right to have expensive meals and wine every evening, they ill say you would not dine k/like this if you were living at home\ trust me I'm a civil servant and I tried this once or twice and my claims were refused, don't treat it like an excuse to over indulge, it could and will backfire on you , if your firms accounts dept have their head screwed on, not clever trying to argue either your case. HMRC may be asked about it also ,so beware, be sensible about your claim.

Usually start my evening meal with Oysters and eat steak every evening with wine, so why should I eat less well when away from home, disprove that if you can. Sorry sometimes if I can't get steak I eat Lobster instead, or Venison.

Usually start my evening meal with Oysters and eat steak every evening with wine, so why should I eat less well when away from home, disprove that if you can. Sorry sometimes if I can't get steak I eat Lobster instead, or Venison.
Never said I dissaprove I disagreed out of common sense and experience

One company I used to do some work for were taken over by an Italian company and they brought in some changes they would no longer pay for beer with your evening meal but they would pay for two bottles of wine

Often, there will be an 'expenses policy'... so you might need to follow that. It may provide for a standard 'meal allowance'... so you can eat whatever you like but you'll only get the meal allowance payment.

But if you're a subcontractor... it all depends on what you have/will negotiate. If you're a highly prized expert like Mike...then you'll be able to get them to agree to all sorts of things. If you're just normal like me... then it's a different ball game.

Often, there will be an 'expenses policy'... so you might need to follow that. It may provide for a standard 'meal allowance'... so you can eat whatever you like but you'll only get the meal allowance payment.

But if you're a subcontractor... it all depends on what you have/will negotiate. If you're a highly prized expert like Mike...then you'll be able to get them to agree to all sorts of things. If you're just normal like me... then it's a different ball game.
Highly prized?

It kind of depends on what they are willing to accept!

Travel by road is usually 45p/mile as the official rate (less above some point but if you don't normally get it then go for the higher rate). I agree with the above, get them to pay for hotels, etc, directly and not mess you about over expense claims.

Some employers have a policy of never paying for alcohol on expense, but they should at least pay for your steaks!
think he's concerned with the wage for travelm time, rather than expense as he said he was being picked up ( company's van?).

And don't forget to agree they pick up the tab directly for the hotel and meals, not you pay and they reimburse through expenses, that way you can eat steak every night and have a decent bottle of wine to share with your buddies in the same hotel.

I agree with LikeD except it would be double money for all working hours.
Many organisations will pay the hotel bill including laundry if you are away for any long periods, food and drinks will usually be paid for as an allowance, either as an advance or by submitting the bill at the end of the trip, claims for meals etc are usually capped, so any extravagances will be tackled at the time of submission. Any oddities /expensive meals etc will be scrutinised as well, lessons learned "DON'T TAKE THE MICK" you will be getting extra mon=y from O/T an bonuses, so play the game.

@Pete999 You seem to be coming at this from an employee/employer point of view, the OP is a sub-contractor and can ask for what they want, not what is dictated through their policy documentation which is for employees, sub-contracting is a totally different ball game and I would expect there is not a contract between the two parties, as this is a variation to any contract that may exist (verbal or otherwise) it is open to re-negotiation.

Just for info I happened to be sent a document today and it covered the rules of applying, including this bit about expenses:

13 Travel and Subsistence

The following outlines the guidelines for travel and subsistence costs. Value for money must always be considered. If for any reason the set limits cannot be adhered to (e.g. to accommodate a reasonable adjustment), you must seek prior written approval from UK Space Agency. No claims for alcohol will be accepted.

UK Space Agency reserves the right to not settle claims which have breached these guidelines. All expenditure must be supported by actual, itemised receipts.

Limits:
  • Accommodation: £140 per night
  • Breakfast: £5
  • Lunch: £5
  • Dinner: £15
Travel:
  • All travel claimed must be using Economy rates.
  • Tolls, Ferry Costs, Parking and congestion charge: Receipted costs for ferries, and tolls bridges and roads unavoidably incurred during your business journey may be claimed. Reasonable parking charges may be claimed. Receipted congestion charges unavoidably incurred on your business journey may be claimed.

I disagree with the hotel meal question, most auditors would say that even though you are working away, doesn't give you the right to have expensive meals and wine every evening, they ill say you would not dine k/like this if you were living at home\ trust me I'm a civil servant and I tried this once or twice and my claims were refused, don't treat it like an excuse to over indulge, it could and will backfire on you , if your firms accounts dept have their head screwed on, not clever trying to argue either your case. HMRC may be asked about it also ,so beware, be sensible about your claim.
To the person that disagreed what part don't you like?

@Pete999 You seem to be coming at this from an employee/employer point of view, the OP is a sub-contractor and can ask for what they want, not what is dictated through their policy documentation which is for employees, sub-contracting is a totally different ball game and I would expect there is not a contract between the two parties, as this is a variation to any contract that may exist (verbal or otherwise) it is open to re-negotiation.
I disagree ,why there will always be someone else that will accept the norm, your attitude MAY cause you to loose the contract by arguing the point

Reply to Working away from home in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net