Discuss Workshop keyed safety in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

PezLee

DIY
Reaction score
I would like to convert my detached garage into a full time workshop, storm-time garage. As I have a 7 year old (and JUST found out another on the way :) ), I would like to add a keyed switch that will disable several circuits dedicated to tools when my wife or I are not using them (preferably one I could rekey to be same as tool lockers).

1. Is this a thing?
2. If so, what would such a device be called?
3. If not, is there a way to lock out the breakers in the subpanel I would have installed?

Thank you for your time.

Respectfully,
PezLee

If your tools plug into ordinary 15A outlets, you could replace those outlets with remote controlled versions (below)
I don't know if there are equivalent 20A outlets!
I appreciate this is maybe not the way you want to do it, but the alternative of hard-wiring key operated contactors into the various circuits would be more trouble!

If your tools plug into ordinary 15A outlets, you could replace those outlets with remote controlled versions (below)
I appreciate this is maybe not the way you want to do it, but the alternative of hard-wiring key operated contactors into the various circuits would be more trouble!
Most smart outlets, including the one linked to here, can be manually switched on and off by pressing the physical button. So, although a good idea, these would not be suitable in this case.

Most smart outlets, including the one linked to here, can be manually switched on and off by pressing the physical button. So, although a good idea, these would not be suitable in this case.
Good point! Forgot that🤫. Bit of a fragile way of achieving the goal anyway, even if the wifi button was 'blanked off'.

But it has reminded me that in the UK there are 13A sockets with a key operated switch available. I wonder if such exist in USA, although a bit of a faff having to lock each outlet separately.
PS I can't see any American equivalent of the sort of thing below unfortunately.
IMG_0311.jpeg

Last edited:
Good point! Forgot that🤫. Bit of a fragile way of achieving the goal anyway, even if the wifi button was 'blanked off'.

But it has reminded me that in the UK there are 13A sockets with a key operated switch available. I wonder if such exist in USA, although a bit of a faff having to lock each outlet separately.
PS I can't see any American equivalent of the sort of thing below unfortunately.
View attachment 110826
I am looking for something like the right half that would be inline before the first receptacle and would lock out the whole circuit, though that might not exist. It's great to see something like this exists though, it gives me hope.

If I can't find one, I might have to look into one of the disconnects that can be locked via a padlock but they are insightly and stuck out quite a bit.

I am afraid my son who is the one one I am trying to keep from using them would be the one who would have to teach me how to set it up 😂.

Reply to Workshop keyed safety in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net