Discuss worried :( in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I fitted 2 metal light switches for my grandparents about a week ago and have been worried ever since about a wire coming loose. It's earthed, but i've only been doing this for 2 month so not very experienced. I think im going to end up replacing them with plastic ones for piece of mind, if they don't like it they'll have to pay for someone qualified to do it.

Hi Aaron, when I first started installing metal switches I was petrified about wires coming loose etc. However I am now on my tenth rewire and every house has metal switches, sockets, isolators, spurs etc etc so I had to get over it.

You would have to be extremly unlucky for someone to get badly hurt by way of a loose wire. Firstly if a good earth goes to the switch you have one form of cover, secondly are the lights covered by RCD? If so they will trip out at 30mA in 30 Ms ( or 40mA in 40Ms) which again would prevent harm. Thirdly if you look closely you should see that the switch is actually protected from the metal plate by plastic, this prevents peoples fingers coming into direct contact.

As long as you take good care in terminating the wires inside the switch you should have no problems, make sure the screw is nipped up nice but don't overtighten as this can fracture the core.

You say that you have only been doing this for 2 months? Are you working for someone? If so get them to check it for you for peace of mind.

i think i might of over tightened them. So i'll re-terminate them tomorrow (i'll also fold the wire over like they showed me in college)

I cant get anyone to check as they don't live near me and it would be too much hassle for them.

I've done metal switches in work plenty of times, but i've also got a spark to check them for me, and it also aint my grandparents who may get hurt lol

Last edited:

Reply to worried :( in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net