Discuss Worst connector ever invented in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welchyboy1

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Am I the only one who loathes these connectors and just removes them immediately

Apparently they also turn a class 1 light fitting into a class 2 light fitting, this is surely not compliant unless you only have a single cable supplying the light fitting, so then the connector can completely enclose any single insulated piece of conductor

which is usually not the case

a loop in scenario at the ceiling and you have no chance, I have come across lots of these lately and have just been crimping a lug to the earths and screwing them to the mounting plate

not ideal but what else can you do with them?
22A3781E-E531-474D-8CE4-45CBD1AD03C4.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless you cut a 2 inch x 2 inch hole in the ceiling and shove all the cables up the hole then these connections are useless.
MAybe fine in Europe where they have a 0.75 multi core supplying a light but in the UK they are garbage

Bloody awful connections.

I fitted a Next light fitting the other day. Class I, and came with a plug/socket combo.
Screw bracket to ceiling, connect up socket. Then simply lift up the fitting, plug it in and secure to bracket.

No fiddling on trying to hold it all up and connect with one hand.

Bloody awful connections.

I fitted a Next light fitting the other day. Class I, and came with a plug/socket combo.
Screw bracket to ceiling, connect up socket. Then simply lift up the fitting, plug it in and secure to bracket.

No fiddling on trying to hold it all up and connect with one hand.
As above, in fairness to them all of the Next luminaires I've come across have been good and well designed.

I was handed a decorative outdoor wall light yesterday and expected the worst. Turned out to be well designed and constructed, with any amount of space for connections. Conversely, the bulkheads and floodlights I'd picked up from a wholesaler weren't quite so well thought out.

For sure these things in the OP are not good and aren't suitable for many typical installation scenarios. But if we are talking about plug/socket connectors too then there are hundreds of claimants for the title, either because they are impossible to work with, dangerous, fragile or unreliable.

From a safety point of view in 2023, there are a couple of power types from the early to mid 1900s that are almost unbelievable now if you are not already familiar and comfortable with them. A system where you can insert your fingers - half of your hand even - straight into the live socket contacts, and the plug has its screw terminals on the outside, probably sounds like a practical joke; but it was a real thing and I have used them.

If anybody cares to listen to my rants about the fiddly ones I will happily rant.

Reply to Worst connector ever invented in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net