Discuss Would this work - back feeding a quinetic receiver? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I am installing some driveway lights.

The customer wants to be able to switch them on from t he house, but also have a PIR at the driveway entrance.

Getting a cable from the house would be extremely difficult so I would like to use a Quinetic switch.

My plan was to do the following (see picture) but I am unsure if it is ok to back feed the quinetic receiver. It is 230v input and output. (I have just seen a quinetic PIR, so I could use that, however the wired option would be more reliable).

Also, does anyone have any real life experience with the range of the quinetic switch and receiver? I would say the distance would be 25m between them. The route would be clear, bar 1 x external wall.

20240323_122855.jpg

Yes it would work, if all you to want do is override the PIR to make the light come on with the switch. Obviously you would not be able to switch the light off with the switch using this configuration.
The range is pretty good in my experience.

You are best to use a smartwares gear
Remote from the house, built in switch.
Smartwares Group
Smartwares Group - Made smart to keep things Simple
Did you have a specific product in mind Mr Lightyear? The link just takes me to the generic website.

Use a Quinetic dual receiver and a Quinetic pir, pair the pir to one side of the receiver and the Quinetic switch to the other and link out the L/N out together....Had the same issue with a floodlight Rang Quinetic and this was the advice given
What exactly is a dual receiver? The normal receiver would be able to be paired with a Quinetic switch indoors and a Quinetic pir at the driveway entrance. However, as Loz has said, I would only be able to switch the lights on with the switch and not off (if the PIR was activated). What does a dual receiver offer above this?

I have used Quinetic over 30m with one wall in the way and it's worked successfully, but I have never used their Pir or had a Pir in circuit with the Quinetic, so can't comment on that!
As you state the switch could turn the lights on but not off as the Pir would take over.
Apart from that your drawing would work.
Does it say anything on the datasheets about backfeeding the SL.
Other alternative is to add some relays to stop the backfeed!
Sy

My plan was to do the following (see picture) but I am unsure if it is ok to back feed the quinetic receiver. It is 230v input and output. (I have just seen a quinetic PIR, so I could use that, however the wired option would be more reliable).

Also, does anyone have any real life experience with the range of the quinetic switch and receiver? I would say the distance would be 25m between them. The route would be clear, bar 1 x external wall.
No problem with what you're suggesting. I did a similar thing a few years ago, although it was made a little more complicated by the fact that the client wanted the option of turning the lights off, as well as on, or PIR-activated. Here's the wiring diagram: there's a lot going on here, the client wanted other stuff like remote switching of outside sockets for water features as well. The bits with the lights and PIR are in the top right. Ignoring the extra complexity of being able to turn the lights off (rather than just "PIR-activated" or "on"), you can see that the PIR backfeeds channel B of the receiver in the same way you're suggesting.

quinetic_setup.JPG

Regarding distance that they'll work with: a job the following year had a garden shed about 50m from the house, the Quinetic switch was in the kitchen (at the back of the house) on the side wall (Victorian, solid walls), and the receiver was inside the wooden shed, worked fine.

No problem with what you're suggesting. I did a similar thing a few years ago, although it was made a little more complicated by the fact that the client wanted the option of turning the lights off, as well as on, or PIR-activated. Here's the wiring diagram: there's a lot going on here, the client wanted other stuff like remote switching of outside sockets for water features as well. The bits with the lights and PIR are in the top right. Ignoring the extra complexity of being able to turn the lights off (rather than just "PIR-activated" or "on"), you can see that the PIR backfeeds channel B of the receiver in the same way you're suggesting.

View attachment 114882

Regarding distance that they'll work with: a job the following year had a garden shed about 50m from the house, the Quinetic switch was in the kitchen (at the back of the house) on the side wall (Victorian, solid walls), and the receiver was inside the wooden shed, worked fine.
Thanks Steve.
Nice to see someone else's drawings🙂

you would think there was something on the market that could do this without all the extra receivers....

you need a pir that sends a signal on trigger... then sends another after the timer runs down.

thats how the switches work... the momentary signal just toggles the receiver on/off/on/off whatever.

Reply to Would this work - back feeding a quinetic receiver? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net